Chapter 16: Pretending

C h a p t e r  1 6 :  P r e t e n d i n g

"Annie." Her father said. "It's time. They're coming. The Scout Regiment."

"What's my mission?" Annie stated, bored. "Kill them all?"

"No. You're escorting Eren out of here. Get him to safety."

"Got it. Where am I supposed to go?"

Her father hesitated. "Anywhere that's not here."

"That's not very specific."

"Go. Just go." Her father snapped, rushing her out the door. Annie growled, taking Eren by his joined wrists and and walking out the door.

"...annie." Eren said cautiously. Annie ignored him- she was busy trying to keep her cover.

"Annie, I know you're listening. Why would you betray us!" Eren got more enraged as he spoke. His anger grew as Annie continued to ignore him. "Why!!! You had everything there! Why do you need to destroy all of humanity!?"

"...Eren." Annie responded. Eren perked up a bit, waiting to hear what she had to say. "...shut up."

Eren growled in frustration. "They're coming, you know. When they do, they'll see you for the nasty traitor you are."

Annie wouldn't let Eren know how much that hurt. Armin, looking at her even though she wasn't actually..

Annie shook her head. Must remain focused. Must get Eren to safety. What happens to me doesn't matter. Must get Eren to Scout Regiment...

Annie ignored her surroundings. She was too focused on what was in her mind. This, of course, was a mistake. If not for Eren's gasp of surprise, she would've missed it.

The sound of 3D maneuver gear.

With one single movement, Annie cut open Eren's bonds. "Get a move on." Annie hissed. "Go. Transform into a titan. Pretend you defeated me."

"...what!?" Eren was confused. "Why would I listen to you-"

"Haven't you ever heard of spying?" Annie huffed. "Go. Hurry up. They're coming."

Eren hesitated, and then nodded. He bit his finger, transforming into a Titan. He glanced down at Annie, before grabbing her body and running off.

"Eren, what are you doing." Annie gritted out. "I'm not going to be able to know what they're doing-"

Don't care. This is the only way we know you'll be safe. If you're with us. Eren thought.

"That's an insane way of thinking!" Annie shouted, frustrated. "Listen, I'm going to spy for you! Isn't that better than having me on your side!?"

No. Because we're not going to risk it. Eren growled. Annie glared back.

"Eren!" Scarlet exclaimed. "Levi! Found him!"

"...is that the.. The guy who saved humanity!?" Cora's mouth dropped open. "Oh- Titan!" Before she could even make a move, Olympia cut open both arms, causing them both to fall.

"Too slow." Olympia smirked, Cora staring at her with hate.

"Cut it out." Theodore interrupted, as he then cut the knee of the titan. It dropped to the ground. "It'll get you killed."

"Focus. Get Eren and Annie to safety." Liana said quietly, her eyes flashing as she cut off the last limb of the titan, and then chopping its nape off in one slash.