Chapter 10: understand?

C h a p t e r  1 0 : U n d e r s t a n d ?

Scarlet let out a battle cry as she and Levi descended upon the Colossal Titan.
Annie opened her eyes, her eyes flashing, as she changed into a titan. She began to beat up the Titans.
She could almost hear Bertolt's voice in her head. "Annie, what are you doing!? This is the perfect chance to take them out. Why are you fighting against us? You don't need to take cover anymore." He screamed, or rather, Annie knew he was thinking.
So why was she?
Again, she finally realized, somehow, she was okay with fighting for humanity.
This group of people had made her realize that.
Especially one particular Coconut Head...

"Hey, Annie!" Armin greeted her. She had been eating alone in the mess hall, as she was the last one up. Levi and Eren was cleaning, Hange was doing some research, and who knows what Scarlet and Owen were doing? So, it was just the two.

"...." Annie glanced at Armin, but said nothing and continued eating.

"You can talk, you know, there is no one to interrupt us." Armin invited.

Cautiously, Annie scanned the room. "I don't know why you make all this effort for me." Annie said. "I'm your enemy."

"You were my enemy." Armin corrected. "But you aren't anymore. You're on our side now, and I couldn't be more glad."

Annie stayed silent.

"... You're planning on betraying us, Huh?" Armin asked. Annie stared at him, bored.

"I'm not stupid. I know you're still working against humanity..." Armin sighed. "But I'm hoping you'll change your mind. If you don't, you'll be slain."

"Its my job." Annie replied, surprising Armin. "Whether I like it or not is of little importance. What matters is that I get it done, and that I'm still alive." Annie shut her eyes.

"Annie..." Armin frowned. "It doesn't have to be this way... You can have a new mission. One that involves us."

"I can't." Anne responded distantly.

"You can. Why not!?" Armin asked, getting frustrated. "There's nothing getting in your way-"

"My father!" Annie yelled. Then she continued in a softer voice. "My father."

"Your.. Father?" Armin questioned. "Is he.."

"No, he's not dead... At least, I don't think so. I promised him that I'd return to him..."

"You can still return to him even if you join our side. I'm sure they'll allow you to."

Before Annie could answer, the one and only Levi unlocked the door and walked in.

"You still trying to get her to talk? How's that working for you?" Levi raised his brow, bored.

Armin shook his head. "It hasn't been." Armin lied smoothly.

"Bummer. I was hoping the female titan would be more talkative..." Hange commented as she entered the room.

Even the other night...

Annie stared at the moon, tucking her knees into her chest. Even the moon reminded her of something...

"Annie?" Armin wondered, as he sat down next to her. "Didn't know you would be here..."

"If you had to kill the person you were the closest to, would you?" Annie asked, after a moment.

Armin pondered. "Strange question... But Uh... It depends. If it would save the world, yes."