A3P5

-

-

"Love, upo ka na dito— ayan," RJ cheerfully pushed his wife's chair closer to the table. "Ano ang gustong kainin ng mga baby ko?"

"Can I have coffee please?" Maine pouted. "I haven't had one for a few weeks now. I'm craving for a Java chipped shake."

"But, love, 'di ba bawal sa'yo yun? The doctor said that."

Sigh. Maine just pouted more, her lower lip out. RJ laughed and kissed her quickly.

"Menggay naman, hindi pa nagkakatawang tao 'yung baby natin pero pinag-aadik mo na kaagad sa kape," he joked.

"Sige na nga," Maine conceded and looked at the restaurant's menu. "We'll go with what the baby wants then. And it wants carbonara, nuggets, a slice or two of this pizza, fries, and a diet coke."

RJ laughed. "Okay, baby, but no soda. It's water for you."

"But the baby—"

"Dadamayan ni Daddy si baby sa water diet, is that okay?"

Maine just mumbled an okay.

She had been feeling off lately. She has been sick, throwing up, and not having the appetite to eat. She has been sleeping a lot, and her mood changes from the angelic princess to that of the witchy stepmother.

They finally agreed to get checked by the doctor this morning, and to their delight were given the good news that they were going to be parents. RJ was ecstatic. Maine had happy tears rolling down her cheeks. After years of being trying, praying and hoping, finally.

RJ came back to their table with a plastic number and cookie in hand. He sat opposite his wife, his hand automatically enclosing hers.

"Uy, fortune cookie ba yan? Patingin!" she grabbed the cookie from him.

"Medyo matatagalan pa daw ng konti yung pagkain, mahal. Ang dami nyo kasing in-order ng anak mo eh."

"Ah ganon, anak ko lang? Osige, a—"

"Okay ka lang?"

"Aray! Masakit!"

"Meng?"

"Oww.."

"Meng, ayos ka— hala, may dugo!"

"RJ—"

"Mahal, sandali lang— Tulong! Putangina naman, padaanin nyo kami, dinudugo 'yung asawa ko!"

//

Back in the disoriented restaurant, a tiny piece of paper under the couple's table was found. It was covered with blood, but the writings on it were still scrutable.

You can't have everything you want. Life is unfair like that.