A4Pd6

-

-

The sound of twigs snapping under someone else's footsteps and snow being kicked around jolted her from her thoughts. She was sat on the earth, not caring if her pants get soaked, hugging her knees.

A man she didn't know crouched down beside her and laid a bouquet of white lilies and orchids on the ground. He was quiet, just staring at the flowers and the stone before him.

Realizing that she was gawking at a total stranger, she hastily turned her attention back to the stone in front of her.

Alden Richards.

The letters engraved on the granite headstone were mocking her. A lone tear escaped from her eye to her cheek. She huffed, puffs of breathe visible because of the cold, and wiped it away rather furiously.

"You know, it's alright to cry; even my dad does sometimes," she heard the man say. Her head snapped towards him, eyebrows furrowed. "Don't wipe your eyes; tears remind you you're alive."

She stared at him, eyes boring into the stranger's. "You're quoting Ed Sheeran."

"Busted," he breathed, scratching the back of his head, focus snapping back to the flowers in front of him. "Hey, that was an underrated song. I didn't think you know it."

Ed Sheeran. Underrated. Right. She turned back to the granite headstone. Alden loved Ed. He adored the singer like he was the older brother he never had. The name Ed Sheeran never left any of his playlists. As a good girlfriend that she was, she learned his favorite's every song. And yes, she never gave this song much appreciation. Until now.

Winter breeze blew. The cold was harsh and biting. Going out in just pajamas and a jacket she snatched from the rack after having a nightmare proved to be a bad idea.

She was shaking, rubbing her arms for heat when she felt additional weight on her shoulders. Stranger guy put his jacket on her.

"Stand up. Snow melts, if you're not aware. Your PJ's are getting wet, and I can't give you my pants."

He was nice. He looks nice, he seems like a nice guy. But he was still a stranger; a stranger who quotes her boyfriend's favorite singer and has nice flowers.

She took his jacket off her and thrusted it towards him. "Thanks, but I'll be fine."

His eyes bored into her, trying to make sense of her words and situation. "Okay..." He took the jacket from her, and after wearing it and zipping it up to his neck, kicked some snow away and sat beside (a good yard away from) her. "Ang lamig," he mumbled.

She was surprised for second, but then masked her expressions with indifference.

There was a short silence between them when she heard him talk again. "I am a regular here, and since a month ago after he was laid there, I've always wondered who Alden Richards is, what's his story, and all that."

Silence.

Alden Richards was her everything. But of course, she won't admit that to anyone.

"Boyfriend ko."

"Oh. Sorry," he mumbled and played with the hem of his shirt peeking out from under his jacket.

Another silence.

"How about you? Sino sya?" she asked, finally considering a small talk with the stranger.

His head snapped up towards her curiously, then to the tombstone. Nicomaine Faulkerson. His eyes softened, a sad smile on his lips. "Asawa ko."

"Sorry."

"It's okay. Five years na rin naman." Pause. "May konting asar parin pala kapag may nag-sosorry kapag nalaman nilang namatayan ka, no? Wala naman silang kasalanan, pero hindi na kasi sila maibabalik ng bwisit na 'sorry' or 'condolence' na 'yan eh."

She didn't know where that came from but she can't help but nod because she agrees.

Silence in the graveyard enveloped them once again, this time, comfortably. She felt at ease with him after his short outburst. It felt like she can relate to him, and him to her, on some level.

The tranquillity of the place was once again interrupted by an alarm. Stranger guy, scrambled to get his phone from his pocket and snooze the offensive device.

"Sorry about that," he laughed embarassedly, standing up from where we was slumped. "Gigising na kasi 'yung anak ko—" his head snapped to the headstone and gestured to it then back to him repeatedly "—anak namin anytime soon. So..."

"It's fine. Paalis na rin naman na ako," she stood up from her spot too, pajamas soaking wet from the snow. She smiled at him and offered her hand (she was surprised of herself) for a shake. "Nice meeting you, Mr.—"  she checked his wife's tombstone. Nicomaine Faulkerson. "Mr. Faulkerson."

He hastily wiped his palm on his pants before taking her hand in his. "RJ. Call me RJ," he smiled, a lone dimple she didn't notice before showing on his left cheek.

"Dei."

"Dei," he repeated. He took his jacket off from him and put it around her shoulders again upon noticing that she was shaking from cold. "Nice name. I brought a car with me. Hatid na kita."

Fin.

-

[20170912]
might turn this one into a full fic. let's see.