A3P24

-

-

"Chard," Dei started. They were at their usual spot, a bench somewhere secluded in a park near their home. She was reading the newest Nicholas Sparks book her husband just bought her.

He hummed as a sign of him hearing her calling his attention. He was busy reading the book's summary at the back cover, and admiring his view (a.k.a book plus his wife's forehead and hair plus the cloudless blue sky).

"I have a question," she said. She didn't wait for his response and continued, "'Di naman ganoon ka-importante pero," she closed her book and laid it beside her so she could look at him. "I just want to know."

"Sabihin mo lang kung anong gusto mo," he sang, and laughed when she playfully pulled at his hair. "Aray naman, mahal!"

"Seryoso kasi!"

"Heto na, heto na!" he shifted so he was laying on his side, head still on her lap, and facing her. "Game, ano ba?"

"'Di ba may bucket list ka?"

"Ang random ah."

"Chaaaaard," she bounced her legs, shaking his head indirectly. "Dali na."

"Saglit lang, Dei, 'wag malikot, nakakahilo huy— oo, may bucket list nga!"

"Eh bakit sinisigawan mo 'ko?"

"Ang likot mo kasi, Mahal. Baka hindi mo marinig," he smiled, his sarcasm dripping on every word.

She pinched his nose. "Ano naman dun 'yung nasa priority list mo?"

"Aray ko, Dei! Bakit ba ako 'yung pinanggigigilan mo?" he swatted her hand away from his face. "Wala akong priority doon. Kahit ano ang maunang magawa ko, 'yun na 'yun."

"Ano ba 'yung mga nasa listahan mo? All I know is may 'Lay in the middle of a road and stargaze' dyan kasi pinilit mo 'kong gawin 'yun nung graduation mo."

"Yes, that's one." He fell quiet for a while, thinking, before he answered, "Learn another language. Buy a condo unit. Ride the roller-coaster five times, nonstop, do you remember our Disney escapade?" he laughed, "Now, I'm trying to get my PhD."

She was silent all throughout his rambling, listening while playing with his hair and picking on his shirt. She was quiet even after his talking.

"Earth to Dei."

She snapped to consciousness. "Ha?"

"Mahal, you spaced out. May problema ba?"

"Ah, wala," but he knew something was up, so he kept staring at her. He knew she will eventually spill. "Ano kasi..." And there it is.

"Ano 'yun?"

"Sa lahat kasi ng nababasa kong stories or napapanood kong movies, laging kasali 'yung 'To fall in love' sa bucket list nila. Bakit sa'yo wala? I mean...wala, never mind, I guess."

He just continued looking at her.

"Huy, never mind na kasi. Kwento ka pa dali. I like listening to your voice."

"I guess kaya wala 'yun sa bucket list ko is because I could have never planned it. Falling for you... I just did. The moment I met you, I knew there was something special, pero I couldn't point it out. Time went by, pag tingin ko ulit sa'yo, boom. I knew I loved you then. It just happened. And I think it's the best thing that has ever happened to me."

She bit her lip. Her man wasn't one for words; he was more on action. So when he goes on a roll like this, she can't help but fall deeper in love with him. Tears were pooling her eyes.

"Oh, bakit ka nangingiyak dyan?" he asked, wiping the tears that fell on her cheeks. "Tahan na, Mahal."

"I love you," she smiled.

"Hala. 'Wag ka ngang nanggugulat ng mga I love you's mo. Pero I love you too. Sobra. Tahan na."

"I love you."

Fin.