A3P8

-

-

It was a rainy late afternoon and they were preparing for the Christmas Eve. She was in the living room, excitedly double checking the wrapped gifts under the Christmas tree, while he was at the backyard with his father-in-law, mixing the ube.

"RJ! Manganganak na si Menggay!" he heard his mother-in-law call from the inside of the house. He abandoned the cooking ube and quickly, albeit carefully, helped her into their car.

He floored the gas pedal, bordering the speed limit. He wanted to get her to the hospital as quick as possible.

She was in so much pain. She didn't expect labor to hurt so much. She grabbed his hand, and won't let it go.

He was panicking. The hospital was just a few blocks away now but the road was blocked by a car accident. She was starting to lose consciousness and her grip on his hand was loosening.

"Meng, mahal, kapit lang," he rubbed her cheeks and wiped the sweat on her forehead. "We're almost there."

Cars weren't moving, and rain was pouring hard. He tried switching lanes but the road was packed, making it impossible for him to do so.

"RJ..." She screamed, gripping his hand hard.

He panicked. He tried whispering her soothing words, massaging her protruding belly, wiping her tears, kissing her temple and hands.

"RJ, ang sakit," she breathed when the contraction was over.

He bit his lip. He doesn't like seeing her in pain. He tried maneuvering the car again but to no avail.

Another contraction came, and she screamed again. He couldn't take it anymore.

Under the heavy rain, he went out of the car and carried her to the hospital. Some people who saw them helped, clearing their path. He's forever thankful of them.

Drenched in cold rain water, he barged in the emergency room yelling at everyone for help and to call a doctor. Nurses sprang up from their seats and did their respective jobs.

She was rushed into the delivery room, him in tow and never letting go of her hand, kissing her forehead every now and then. "Pagod na 'ko, RJ. Ang sakit."

"Meng, kaya natin' to. Parating na si Baby."

The doctors and nurses began their work. There was a lot of screaming, Maine in pain, and RJ in frustration. She was losing a lot of blood. She was in and out of consciousness.

"Mahal, kapit lang."

//

At exactly 4:24pm, 24th of December, a beautiful baby girl was born.

Three minutes later, at exactly 4:27pm, 24th of December, a mother died.

//

It was a rainy late afternoon and they were preparing for the Christmas Eve. She was in the living room, excitedly double checking the wrapped gifts under the Christmas tree, while he was at the backyard with his father-in-law, mixing the ube.

"RJ, yung anak mo kanina pa ginugulo at inaayos yung mga regalo sa may Christmas tree," he heard his mother-in-law yell from the inside.

"Raine, anak, 'wag mong pagurin si Nanay!" he called his daughter. He smiled when a two-year old girl burst out the door laughing.

She didn't leave him. She was still with them. He can see her in their daughter. He smiled.

Fin.