Girl Meets Unwanted

Cori

Chapter 5: Girl Meets Unwanted ||

Song of the Chapter: Wanted by Hunter Hayes

There was a pause for a moment as I thought of a way to word myself, "did I ever tell you I'm a foster child?" I asked him looking at the ground, the shame of my past eating me up.

"Well, to be honest, we haven't gotten past last names let alone our family history." He said looking up at me from the beanbag, he was still smiling but there was an awkwardness to it.

I nodded my head at his statement, "Jeanine has had me since I was about 2 years old. She's taught me everything I know." I said setting on the floor beside him. "She's my mom, but not my mother. But, anyway, tell me about yourself, Lucas Friar."

"Well, what do you wanna know?" He said getting off the beanbag and sitting on my bed, beside me.

"Everything that your music record can't tell me," I said pointing at our bags on my bed. "I mean, if we are gonna be friends, I should know something, right?"

"Okay, let see." He said thinking, "well my name's Lucas Franklin Friar—"

I snorted, interrupting him "Franklin? That's a lame name." I told him laughing.

"Yes, Franklin, which is an amazing name, by the way. Now as I was saying as someone interrupted me," he said smiling at me, fake annoyance in his voice. "I'm 14, my birthday's June 3rd and I love the color blurple, oh and I have a two-year-old little sister,"

"Blurple, really? Poor choice and color and it your sister cute." I asked him curiously.

"Well, she looks like me, so what do you think?" he asked smirking, he was confident, but it was rightfully so.

"Yikes," I said with mock horror, he frowned, "oh, I'm just joshin' ya, I'm sure she's adorable."

"Not as adorable as you." He said pinching my cheeks, "now, tell me about you, Miss. Hunters."

"Uh, well I'm a foster child, as I said befo—" I said to him before being cut off.

"No, no, no, not that you. The real you, ya know?" He said leaning down a bit, "The one deep inside, where your heart is."

"I-I don't know the real me," I said stuttering under his blue gaze. "I'm kind of lost on that part, you know?"

"What do you mean?" He asked confused, "of course you do, you just haven't figured it out yet."

"No, I really don't. I don't know anything about myself or my family, like where I've come from, where they've been. I know nothing! I don't know where I got my problems from!" I told him, panic in my heart. I could barely breathe, so much so, that I started hyperventilating, "the only thing I know is that I was, am and will always be unwanted." I told him as the truth settled in the air.

"Hey, hey, Cori, breathe okay?" He said putting his arms around me and talking calmly, "you're having a panic attack right now, just take a deep breath and got to a happy place." He kept his arm around me, rubbing my back whispering 'breathe' in my ear 'til I calmed down. "Better?" He asked me after about 30 minutes.

"Better." I mumbled as I pulled away from him slowly, "I'm so sorry about that, sometimes I get flustered, ya know?" I told him, the panic attack is something that happens a lot, it part of the anxiety issues that I've developed over the years.

"Have you had any panic attacks before?" He asked ignoring my apology, his hand on mine, burning a hole into my soul.

"Not in months. My mom took me to the doctor and the gave me this medicine to take for Anxiety and it's gotten better but, I thought that I had better control over the problem so, I stopped taking them." I told him as the last hour replayed in my mind, wiping the tears off my face, I continued. "Now, I'm here and I look dumb."