Boy Meets Mean

Shawn

I stared at Cory as we set in the teacher's lounge at his job, the smile that was usually plaster on his face, no longer there

I stared at Cory as we set in the teacher's lounge at his job, the smile that was usually plaster on his face, no longer there. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked him, confused and feeling betrayed, "how could you keep that from me?" Cory shrugged at me, he knew what I was talking about, though, "she's my kid, Cory, and your kid—my godfather is bullying her?"

"She didn't know that you're Cori's dad," he told me, the stress on his shoulders was apparent.

I scoffed at him, "cause that's an excuse, right?"

He shook his head before leaning closer to me, "I know it's not, but I've put a stop to it, okay? Topanga and I talked to Riley she's not allowed to see Maya anymore until they get the act together."

I laughed, "if Riley is anything like you, that's not going to stop her." I told him as I kid rushed into the room, scaring the crap out of me.

It was one of them from the restaurant, he had a bowl cut, "Mr. Matthews," the kid said before taking a deep breath, "Cori is about to hit Maya." He said, causing both of us to jump off our chairs and race down the hallway.

"This way Shawn," Cory said grabbing my arm, stopping me from running the wrong way. Once we got to the room, everyone was silent as another kid from the restaurant was talking to Riley and Maya before saying something to Cory and leaving.

"What happened?" Cory asked stepping into the classroom, his voice full of anger that I'd only heard when we were in college, no one said a thing, "what happened!" he asked again, almost angrier.

Soon enough the whole class looked at the two girls in the center of the room as someone spoke up, "Maya said that Cori was stealing Riley's family because she didn't have one for herself."

"Oh, my god." I groaned, before looking at my best friend, I could feel my heart being ripped out of my chest. This was my fault, I knew, my brain knew it.

"Dad," Riley said as he walked toward her.

He shook his head, "no, this is it. I'm done with the both of you. Go the office now!" he told them, but I decided to leave before I could see anything else, I had to fix it.

_

Cori