Boy Meets Waitress

Lucas

Chapter 6: Boy Meets Waitress \\

Song of the Chapter: Angels by Chance the Rapper

It was late when I had finally gotten home, the lights were off, and the house was quite as I tiptoed to my bedroom, "Lucas?" I heard my mom yell from across the apartment, the floor boards creaking underneath me. "Is that you?"

"Yes, ma'am," I yelled taking off my jacket and walking into the room she is in only to see the disappointment in her face

"Where have you been, Mister?" She asked, rocking my baby sister to sleep. "There is a reason you have that phone, you know?"

"I've been at a friend's house," I said smiling proudly since she's been bugging to make the 'right' kind of friends for a while now and I'm pretty sure Cori is the 'right' kind of friend I need.

"What kind of friends? Those kinds you had in Texas?" she asked worriedly, using country grammar. "Because I don't like those kinds."

"No, mama not like Texas. Better than Texas." I said smiling, thinking about her. She's way better than all of those people.

"Is this friend a girl?" Momma asked with a knowing smile on her face.

"What? No." I said blushing furiously. "Wh-why would you think that?"

"Oh, my god it is." She squealed, scaring Emily—my sister—to death as she cradled her on her lap. "Oh, gosh. I'm sorry baby, Lucas can you take your sister for me, while I get her, her sippy cup and bed ready?" She asked handing me the baby before I could answer. "And, we aren't done with this conversation."

"Sure," I mumbled once she had left the room, Emily's face was red with tears by now, and I had to calm her down. "hey, hey now that's enough tears for today," I said in a voice I only used for the most special girls in my life. "Yes, it is! Yes, it is. Now let's sit down, and you're gonna tell me about your day." She started laughing and gargling, then the drooling started.

"Really?" I asked her, wiping the drool off my shirt and rubbing it onto her bib. "Well, your day seemed really good, but mine was better. Let me tell you about a girl I meet, her name's Cori and she's so beautiful. She has this curly hair, I think it's called an afro, of dark hair, did I say it was curly? And, she has the softest light brown skin, its kind of feels like yours, Em. She's so sweet, so quiet, and so small"

 She's so sweet, so quiet, and so small"

"Wow, she sounds amazing." I heard momma say from the doorway before stepping into the room with me.

"I know," I said looking down at Emily, who had dozed off on my lap, maybe she wanted to dream of Cori like I do or maybe she was baby-tired.