Serve Thirteen

"Eh, that match was exhausting." You sigh, your empty bottle hanging loosely in your palm.

"You didn't even play." Satoru sighs as he sits next to you.

"I know, but I could feel everyone's emotions." You shrug.

"Really? I wasn't sensing anything."

"I pick up on these things easily." You pat his sweaty back. "You should go, I think Keishin has something to say." Satoru looks over to his team and see them beginning to huddle around. His jumps up and runs over to them.

"Receiving." Ukai starts as the group pay full attention to him. "We're nothing if we can't receive." He tells the team. You turn your back to them, and crouch down, beginning to pack away yours and Satoru's things. He'll return home in his sports kit, you knew that for certain. He'd also forgot to put it in the wash, so you'd have to remind him about that as well. Weren't you supposed to do something else today?

"(F/n)!" Ukai shouts, making you flinch at his sudden shout. You look over your shoulder to him and blink languidly. "Come here." He orders. You leave your things on the floor and slowly make your way over, holding your arm.

Oh god, everyone's staring. My hairs a mess and my lips are probably blue from my drink. Don't trip, walk straight, don't make eye contact. You'll be fine.

You take in a deep breath as you stop beside the coach. He places his hand on your shoulder as you face him, then he turns you to face the team and your eyes widen in surprise. They are all staring at you. What had you done? Did they want you out the gym as they practiced? Did they think you were a spy for Tooru? They hadn't mentioned it at all, but maybe they thought it. What if the team had secretly had enough of you and thought you were a distraction?

"Karasuno, meet your new Assistant Coach." Ukai pats your shoulder. You freeze. Everyone stares back at you with the same amount of bewilderment or shock.

"What?!" That was too loud, and your surprise is evident. Ukai chuckles, patting your shoulder.

"What? You're not in any club, right?"

"Well, no, but I—"

"And your family loves volleyball. Your mum knows me too. They won't have to worry about your safety or nothing!" He grins. You have nothing to say to that. You roll your shoulder, furrowing your brow. He is right. You look out to the team. They mostly look bewildered, but Daichi grins. You sigh, reluctant, before bowing.

"Please take care of me." You say, face slightly tinted pink.

This is so embarrassing!

The team bow back and repeat your words as you stand between Takeda and Ukai. You stare awkwardly down at the floor, your fingers intertwined.

"And don't forget to stretch." Ukai mentions and the team runs off. You stay in your spot, not moving an inch or making any sudden movements. Then Ukai looks down at you and chuckles. You grunt in response and scatter to your bag. You put said item over your shoulder and take out your phone, just wanting to do something with your hands.

I can't believe it, I'm the assistant coach. I can't be the assistant coach. I'm not cut out to be one. I'm sure there's thousands of people who can do a better job than me.

You panic, feeling your heart still hampering in your chest. This was why you never play in team anymore. Being on court was like being center stage and that was terrifying. On top of the loud sound of the ball smacking against body parts and the floor. You hated to be in the spot light, it's your brothers job. And yet there you were, standing in front of all the volleyball team and made a fool of yourself. Could they hear your breath? Perhaps your thundering heart beat? Were your shoes squeaking too loud and were your steps light enough? Oh, this is terrible. Then your body jerks at the sudden hand placed on your head. You look up to see Daichi with a bright smile.