Serve Twenty Eight

"Thanks for driving me!" You grin, picking up your boxes and shutting the van door with your foot. You look at Togami; the window rolled down.

"Text me an hour before you want to leave."

"Sure, sure. If there's any food left, I'll bring it back." You hold the boxes up higher in emphasis before walking past the school gates. You hear the van pull off as you keep to the very right, heading towards the gym. You stop before the door, trying to rearrange the boxes so you can open the door, a broad smile on your face. Then out pops a player. You look them over, your face surprised. This boy has a tan and a face like a slapped arse. He wears casual clothes, something that is odd for volleyball practice. The white wifebeater hugs his biceps. He sneers at you, and you catch sight of a weird black dye job. His hair is blond but has two lines of black going around his head.

"Hi, um, I'm a friend of Tōru-Senpai an—" You don't get to finish as this boy growls - a literal guttural growl at what you just said.

"Fuck off!" He shouts, giving a quick push to your shoulders. You weren't prepared, and are sent down onto the pavement, dropping your boxes. "I don't wanna see you again." He slams the door shut and you listen to his heavy footsteps as he retreats. You stare helplessly for a second, before casting your gaze to the boxes. You shuffle to your knees and quickly open up the lunch box. The food inside is ruined. You'd spent hours on multiple batches of agedashi tofu for Haijme. It was his favourite, and tofu is always a bitch - falling apart. It was difficult. And now it's crumbled, the neat cubes all in a big jumble. You swear under your breath, scowling. You secure the lid and shove it into your bag hastily, trying to hide the failure.

What was the point in even trying?! Fucking happy he pushed me, they probably tasted like shit. Fucking hell!

You then pick up the other box, the edges of the wrapping paper now crinkled. You feel ashamed. You worked so hard on that food and wrapping up the gift neatly, and now it was all a waste. You were so careful on the way here with the food too, and tofu was hard, dammit! They were meant to be for the team to snack on for Hajime birthday celebration. The lunch box won't fit in your bag. With a loud groan, you put it down and loosen the straps on your bag before trying to shove it in. You couldn't show Hajime this mess. He'd be disappointed. He deserved better than your crappy cooking.

"Are you alright?" You look up to see Tur--Kindaichi. His expression is worried. He was on his way to volleyball practice only to see a girl on the floor, furiously trying to stuff a box into her bag. You look up at him, a deer caught in headlights. "Are you here to see Oikawa-senpai?"

"Kindaichi-san." You say softly, quickly getting up off the floor with flushed cheeks.

"Ah, (L/n)-san!" He realises, eyes widening.

"I'm here for Hajime birthday?" You explain unsurely. You feel like a mess right now and don't feel like facing anyone. You clear your throat. "I... tripped, and ruined this." You weakly point to the tofu. "I was-I was just putting it in my bag. There's no point in eating it now." Kindaichi bends down, picking up your stuff with a timid expression. He hands over the wrapped present and your backpack, then holds the tofu box, inspecting it. He shrugs, forcing a smile.

"We're guys. Even if you dropped it on the floor, I would still eat it." He walks towards the gym door, going to open it. You squeak, reaching out for the box.

Why does he make it seem like I'm worried about nothing?! They're disgusting, I don't know why I even made them. They can't have them!

He holds the box above you as if you're going to tear it from his hands at any moment.

"They're messy." You say weakly. He shrugs again, heading inside. He wonders off with the box in hand, and you watch him helplessly. You step inside cautiously, looking around for that boy from before. He looked older than you, so maybe a second year. But you would have met him before - should have met him before. You've never even seen him at volleyball here.