Chapter 2

Elena

I don't like being told what to do.

So the fact I have to follow the orders of the people keeping me locked up in a dusty, darkened cell is bothering me.  But if I want my plan to work, I have to be on my best behaviour, especially since this is a military base with strict rules.  Alex and I've been locked for less than an hour, but I already feel like suffocating in this limited space, stuck between these cold brick walls.  The situation is bringing back some memories I wish I could wipe away.

"Can you stop pacing back and forth?" Alex groans. "You're making me dizzy. It's like being locked with a squirrel."

My eyes glare at him, watching him sitting on the cement floor, his back pressed against the wall, his legs sprawled and crossed one over another. "Oh, I'm sorry for not waiting for our possible death so calmly," I frown, starting to pace again. "Would you like me to order you a cup of tea?"

When he doesn't reply, I stop pacing, noticing his eyes are focused on the bricks in the wall. "Alex?" Silence. "Oh my God, tell me you're not doing what I think you're doing."

"Aw, shit, now I have to start all over!" He whines, muttering "can't even count bricks in peace" under his breath.

"Why do I always end up surrounded by idiots?" I throw my hands up in frustration, expelling a sigh. 

Sudden footsteps catch my attention and my body quickly moves toward the metal bars, my fingers reaching to curl around them, its cold surface in contrast with my warm skin. The same guy who has locked us up in the first place appears, stopping a few steps away from the gates.  My eyes quickly scan him in disinterest. He's wearing a uniform typical for Hazard – all black, no colours.

His hair is a tousled mess, thick chestnut curls scattered on top of his head, some of them tied back with a bandana. His prominent angular jaw is clenched, his dark pink lips pressed in a firm line, a lip ring decorating a corner of the lower lip.  His eyebrows are slightly furrowed above his intense green eyes, creating a crease between them, my eyes catching another piece of metal pierced beside his left eyebrow.  He has the face of a soldier; stoic, showing no emotion yet I have to admit he's the most beautiful man I have ever seen.

There are three more soldiers with him, two older ones standing behind him and one beside him. It's the same blonde guy from earlier, his icy blue eyes observing me. Unlike the other one, his face holds more delicate, softer features.  When he catches my gaze, he sends me a wink and smirks at me, my eyebrows raising in surprise at his bold behaviour.  Alex is awfully quiet and I'm thankful he's decided to follow my instructions and keep his usual blabber mouth shut.

"You're in luck," the green-eyed man says. "The leader will be here soon. Don't get your hopes up too high, though."

I nod in response and remain silent for the next few minutes, occasionally wiping my sweaty palms against my jeans. All the while, I can feel the soldier's green eyes on me, my own drifting to glance at him from time to time.  His stiff posture and displeased expression show he's definitely not enjoying to be in this situation. I reckon we'd be dead if it was up to him.

A shot of annoyance washes through my body when I shift my gaze at Alex, who is humming a soft tune to himself as if he has no care in the world. My head swivels to the door when the sound of footsteps approaching catches my attention again, my lungs inhaling deeply to ease some of the tension. Even Alex bolts to his feet now, managing to somehow trip in the process and almost fall face down.

It feels like my heart is about to leap from my chest, the tension building up like a tidal wave with every second. Please, let this work.

The green-eyed soldier signals to the other ones to leave when a man, who I assume is the leader, joins us. I know quite a lot about David, which is why I have strong hope Alex and I will get what we want.  My eyes move to the man now standing before me, taking in his straight posture and a serious expression, his hands clasped behind his back. "You may leave now, soldier," David tells him.