Chapter 10

Elena

"Woah, easy there. Take her," Louis says, motioning toward me while lifting his hands up in surrender. "She's the brains."

"Wow, thanks," I say flatly. "I need to speak to your leader."  I barely manage not to laugh since this is the second time in less than two weeks that I'm saying this line.

We were lucky enough while driving through the city, managing to drive through it without much hassle. However, the minute we drove into Rogue's territory, rows of armed soldiers have welcomed us, pointing their weapons at us. Lovely.

"And why?" One of the female soldiers asks me, eyeing me. Her hand harshly grips my jaw, keeping it in place while she steps closer to me, her dark eyes glaring into mine. "Hazard bitches are not welcome here."

My face remains emotionless, not showing any sign of panic or pain while I stop myself from pushing her away.  "Well, this bitch needs to have a word with him about the events from earlier today. I'm offering a truce."

"El, what truce, what the--" Tori starts, but I shoot her a glare. Let me do the talking, I warned them. I know what I'm doing, I stated. I obviously wasn't clear enough.

After a few minutes of ass-kissing sweet talk I detest and an excessive check up for any weapons we might carry, the soldiers have let us go through, toward Rogue headquarters. We're walking with our hands lifted, with a few armed soldiers behind us, and a few in front, leading the way. The rest of them are lined on each side, standing and eyeing us skeptically.

The base is smaller than Hazard, but equipped with much more advanced vehicles and almost equal number of soldiers, so it's safe to say they'd make a fierce enemy.  Unlike Hazard, Rogue has an electrical fence on top of the walls surrounding the base and even a small mind field in front of their main entrance.  The soldiers know exactly where are they hidden, but if any intruder were to try to sneak around the base, they'd be blown into pieces.

We're completely in their willpower, defenceless and weak. Or that's exactly what I want them to think. They might have their weapons, but I have knowledge.  I know everything there is to know about each base and each leader, every advantage and disadvantage.  If something remotely dangerous were to happen or someone was to threaten us, we'd be out in no time. You just have to know where to strike. The greatest weapon is the one no one can see – your knowledge.

The walk toward Ace's office is awkward and tension-filled, with Louis' constant sighs in annoyance and Tori's stiff posture which sends off a vibe she might attack at any given second. And to think I told them to act natural.

The moment we reach the office, we're pushed inside, the door abruptly closed right after.  A few guns are pointed our way immediately, but my eyes are set on the person in a leather chair in front of us.  His skin is dark, with a clean shaven face and a military buzz cut. His legs are lifted on the mahogany table and crossed at the ankles, his hands clasped in his lap. Suspicious expression, piercing dark eyes, and arrogant smile; Ace.

"I thought I'd have a meeting with Hazard soldiers," he says, no thick accent laced in his voice. I believe he's somewhere from North America.  "I know for certain this one's not theirs." He points at me, his head tilting aside skeptically. He remembers me.

"I am now," I say. "We're here to--"

"Oh, have a seat then," he interrupts, gesturing to a chair opposite of him. "Want a drink? A cigar? Maybe a knife to stab me in the back?"

"Pfft, what?" Louis says. "You attacked us."

Ace's smile falters, a hard line replacing it as he glares at him. "That's not what eighty-seven of my dead soldiers would say. That's not what nine severely injured ones would say." He drops his legs off the table, pushing himself up to his feet. "And that's not what cameras show."