Chapter 47

Elena

Life is all about choices. And most recently, I've made the one I thought I would never have to make. I know the only way to ensure Hazard stays safe while Harry takes his time thinking about what's right for his base, is to go to Vortex. I haven't gone near the place in months, believing that part of my life was left behind me. But you can never predict what might happen next.

My fingers are gripping the steering wheel as I drive toward Wildfire, every muscle in my body being tense. I can feel Alex's scrutinising gaze on me and I know he can sense something isn't right. I told him we would come back to Wildfire and then leave the country like it was planned, but I'm not going to do that. I just want to make sure he's safe while I go and put my life in danger, something I'm naturally good at.

"Lenny?" Alex says quietly, placing his hand on my shoulder, making me flinch slightly. "I know you're hurt because of what happened with Harry, but you'll have to accept it just didn't work. I really wanted it to work, though, despite thinking leaving is our best option. I wanted it to work for you." 

"It's fine, I'm fine," I mumble, keeping my eyes on the road. We're getting near, I can already see the wall surrounding the base in the distance.

"I know you love him and it's actually all very tragic seriously, it kinda makes me hurt inside-" he taps his chest "-and I really wish I could fix it for you-"

"Seriously, I'm fine."

"But-"

"Alex, just let it go!" I interrupt. "Everything is fine."

He sighs, leaning back against the seat, swiping his palm over his face. "Yeah, I'm fine too. I asked them to forgive me, you know? Louis, Jess, Tori, Niall, Liam. I talked and talked like I usually do and neither of them interrupted when I gave them my goodbyes. I know they haven't forgiven me, but I hope they will. I hate to think they believe I don't consider them my friends because I do. I wanted them to know none of it was fake. So yeah. . . I'm fine."

I can hear guilt and sadness in his voice, two emotions I've been feeling as well for a while now. Despite the results, I believe we did the right thing by leading them to Wildfire, we gave them a chance they wouldn't have taken themselves. As we drive through the forest and enter the clear ground, I begin slowing down. A growing pressure in my chest multiplies by thousand, a heavy lump formed in my throat.

"This is it," Alex says as I stop the vehicle, his hand reaching to open the door. His head turns to look at me as I make no move to get out. "What's the matter?"

"Leave the vehicle," I say in a cold tone, refusing to look at him.

"Wait, what are you-"

"Just do it, Alex."

"No, what's going on, Elena?" He asks, his tone urgent. "What are you planning to do?"

"Just get out!" I shout, my hands almost ripping the steering wheel, my breathing picking up its pace.

"Lenny, please, what's going on? " He reaches out to touch me and that's when I finally snap.

My hand pulls out a gun from its holster, pointing it straight at him. I look at him for the first time after leaving Hazard, pure shock written on his face. His brown eyes are widened, lips parted as he keeps glancing between me and the gun.

"Get out, Alex, I won't repeat myself," I snap harshly, trying so desperately to keep my mask on, to bottle up my emotions. I can't believe I'm doing this to him.

He slowly steps out of the vehicle, bending slightly to look at me, his hand holding the rim of the door. His eyes fill with tears as he looks at me pleadingly. "What are you going to do, Elena? Wh- why do you. . ." he closes his eyes briefly. "Please, don't do what I think you're about to do."