Chapter 58

Zayn

Zayn

I was six years old when my parents died. I remember how they showed me their dead bodies then showed me the soldiers responsible for their deaths. They were from Hazard while we were from Vortex.

They told me I'd get a chance to avenge them, I'd get a chance to destroy the enemy slowly, from the inside. Being only a small kid, I didn't have much choice, besides I wasn't fully aware what it meant. I was shy and barely spoke, so I was the perfect target. They trained me for a year then left me where they knew Hazard soldiers would find me, which was exactly what happened.

I remember how they would tell me all Hazard soldiers are monsters, so I was surprised when David approached me with the kindest smile I had ever seen, picking me up in his arms and giving me home in his base. He gave me what I had lost, he gave me a family, he and Anne took great care of me and accepted me as their own. But Harry was the one who loved me the most, from the very first day the small, green eyed five year old would do nothing but ask me questions and spend time with me, telling me I'm his brother.

He was annoying, constantly chasing me around and never shutting his mouth, but as the time went by, I got used to him and his clingy self, I liked the idea of having a brother. I never forgot about the reason they sent me to the base, knowing what was I supposed to do, but I was a child who just wanted to have friends and a family, so it was natural I'd got close to the people in Hazard.

I had been a spy for Vortex for years, that being the reason they sent me there. From ages seven to twelve, I'd given out a lot of crucial information since David basically became my father and I had access to that kind of stuff. But then I realised I don't want to do that anymore, I don't want to keep betraying my family. I started to give false information, refusing to give them a chance to hurt them. I may have lost my real one, but I'd found it with the people that were supposed to be my enemies.

However, before I was sent out on that mission, I was told I would have to return to Vortex at one point and they'd let me know when is the time. That was always somewhere in the back of my mind and even though there was a slim chance they would just come and take me away by force, they could still find a way to let David know why did he find me that day and who I really was, and I was completely dreading that day. So I found a solution that would save me the pain I would surely feel when they find out about my betrayal and decided to just leave and go back to Vortex.

Harry was always impulsive, so when he decided to attack Vortex after they had occupied some of Hazard's territory, I saw that as my chance. I felt sick that day, the last thing I wanted was to leave my dad and brother, especially since mum did just that a few years ago, but I saw no other solution. I could tell Harry knew something was going on with me even though I was trying to cover it up.

I gave him my ring as my silent unspoken goodbye before doing the hardest thing I ever did in my life. And that was faking my death and leaving him, leaving dad, leaving my friends, leaving Hazard while I came back to the base I had grown to hate over the years.