Chapter 56

Elena

Elena

"This cake sucks," Alex complains as he chews a piece of fruit cake on his plate, his nose slightly wrinkled in distaste. "I miss Lou's cakes and baking. I miss Louis."

I give him a small smile and place my hand over his, squeezing gently. "We're going to get out of here."

"Lenny, we're being watched 24/7 like I can't take a piss without one of our stalkers watching over me, I have two female ones and I'm pretty sure they enjoy the sight of me and my glorious body even though it's covered- well, I can't really blame them for it-"

I roll my eyes. "Okay Alex, I get it. But if there is one thing you should've learnt about me is that I never give up, so we're getting out of here one way or another. I'll find a way, I always do, so don't underestimate me."

"I know that, but I just don't want. . . your wounds still hurt a lot, don't think I don't see it even though you're trying to cover it up. I don't want that to repeat again, I don't want you to get hurt," he tells me, lowering the fork on the table, pushing the plate away, his eyes glancing around the mess hall as his eyebrows draw in a small frown.

"I'll be fine Alex, what more can they do? I've been through a lot and I can take twice as many hits if it means we'll be free," I say with a reassuring smile. "Besides, we have a friend here now."

"Oh right, your new boyfriend."

"Friend, Alex. Friend," I correct him. "You do realise I love Harry, right?"

"I do, I was making a joke. But you two are really cute, the way he looks at you. . ." he says, his lips pulling in a smile. "I'm just saying that Harry kicked you out despite all the sacrifices you made for him and I'm pissed at him because of that, you can't blame me."

My chest aches when the memory of that moment replays in my mind, my hand automatically reaching for the ring hanging around my neck. I sincerely hope he feels better now and is coping with Alice's death as best as he can, surrounded by his friends.

"Oh no no, you're doing the thing again." Alex tsk's, shaking his head. "The thing where you gaze into a wall or something and have this sad puppy expression which means you're thinking about the prince Charming back in Hazard. Get up and take Tinkerblade, you need to cut something."

Before I can reply, someone sits beside me, my head turning to see Jon, the familiar scent of lavender hitting me, a small smile appearing on my lips. He leans forward, resting his elbows on the table, scanning the crowd in the mess hall with a blank expression, light brown eyes focused as if he's making sure no one is nearby or listening, his jaw slightly clenched. He suddenly looks at me, his expression immediately changing, a warm smile spreading on his face.

"Guys, I have an important announcement," he tells us, his eyes flicking back and forth between us. "I've found a way to get you out. The moment you told me you were thinking about escaping again, I knew I had to help."