Chapter 16

Elena

Confusing. That's the only word I can find to describe H's behaviour. Confusing. I've been trying to push him out of my thoughts for the past few hours, ever since he kissed me then left me in his training room. He has made a habit out of it; kissing me then leaving. I don't know how to describe what we have, but it's obvious something's going on. And it shouldn't. . . it shouldn't because it won't last.

My hand pushes the door of the children's building open, stepping outside. It's finally lunch break, and considering I skipped breakfast, I feel like I could eat a horse. My fingers tug the short sleeve of my shirt, trying to cover the bits of the tattoo peeking out. I think pretty much everyone has used to it by now, but I still get glances whenever my shoulder is bare and it makes me feel self conscious and like I don't belong here. And in reality, I don't.

Air gets knocked out of my lungs as my back harshly meets the rough surface of the brick wall, my lips parting in shock. Cold hand is pressed against my throat, putting light pressure on it while the fingers are digging into my skin, surely leaving marks. My eyes meet the pair of cold blue ones, belonging to the soldier whose name I believe is Tyler. The same one who had punched me, the same one who was so against me when I was on the meeting about Rogue.

"It was you, wasn't it? You and that dumb prick of your brother," he seethes, his proximity to my face uncomfortable. "The attack was your fault."

I notice a few soldiers watching us in the background, but none of them makes a move to help me. It's not that I need their help, but it baffles me they'd just stand and watch this. Unless they're with this sack of human trash.

Just to spite him, I force out a laugh, my eyes glistening with fake amusement. "It's sad, really, how you have a brain, but don't use it. Why would we risk our lives if that were the case?" I don't waste time to lift my knee and collide it with his crotch, watching as a grimace twists his features, his grip on my throat loosening.

My palms flat against his chest and I push him away, but he's quick to lunge back at me, my back hitting the wall again. I lift my left fist as if I'm going to punch him, his hand clamping over it to prevent the punch, twisting my wrist painfully. While he's busy doing that, I fist my right hand, punching him in the throat, a gagging sound leaving his mouth as the result. It works every time.

"Stupid," I mutter as I bend down swiftly, pulling a pocket knife from my boot and unfolding it. My fingers grip his shirt and pull his body toward me, and in the last moment, I push him against the wall, pressing the blade against his throat, applying light pressure on the skin. "Now, listen here," I say in a threatening tone, my eyes glaring into his. "If you ever pull this kind of shit with me again, or God forbid with my brother, I won't hestitate to slit your throat. I'll enjoy doing it."

His breathing is ragged, a sheen of sweat covering his face. "Bitch," he mutters.

"Correction, bitch with a knife pressed against your throat," I snap, taking a step back, looking at him with disgust. "Stay away from me."

I fold the knife again, pushing it back inside my boot, angrily walking away from the scene. I make sure to flip off the small group of people that were watching us. My apetite is gone, anger and anxiousness taking over me. How many people share his opinion? I'm sure if they riot, H would step on their side, and David would be forced to kick us out of the base. I'd like to think H wouldn't do that, but he puts the army before anything else. I don't blame him.

Instead of going to the mess hall for lunch, I walk into the main building, all the way to David's office. I take a deep breath before knocking lightly on the door, not really expecting to find him inside. If that's the case, I'll wait for him, he's the only one who can help me with this situation. Luckily, his firm voice comes from the other side and my hand twists the handle, opening the door. As I step inside, he raises his eyebrows in surprise, straightening in his seat.