Chapter 21

Harry

"Do you know any stories, H?" Alice asks me, eagerly leaning forward. I smile when I look into her innocent eyes, suddenly remembering the day David had found her while driving through the North and brought her to the base. She was five at the time, alone and unprotected, her parents dead. From the moment I saw her, she's become my Little Dove, a little sister I never had. 

"I'm afraid I don't, why?" I ask her, trailing my glance over the children sitting on the gym floor in front of me. I've decided to visit them now that I have some free time considering it's Sunday, besides, I've been neglecting them lately and I know how much they love when I pay attention to them.

Her face falls, her shoulders lifting in a shrug. "Ellie always tells us stories. About princesses saving their kingdoms and far away lands."

"I'm sorry, maybe I can ask her to help me come up with a story so I can tell it to you." I reach and pinch her cheek, making her smile. Maybe Elena's stories are the reason she's calling me Charming and the thought makes me smile.

Tommy perks up, pushing his frizzy dark locks from his face. "Like now? Yeah, now would be good. Call her."

"Forget it, kid, I know your plan. No knife tricks for you today." He smiles smugly and I narrow my eyes. "She's shown you some already, hasn't she?"

"With plastic knives, don't punish her," Tommy quickly says. "I promised not to tell, but I didn't pinky swear it so it doesn't really count, right? I'm twelve, but even I know you never break a pinky promise."

I sigh. "Right. Don't worry, I won't punish her, I promise." I won't pinky swear it, though.

"Hey, tiny people," Niall's loud voice is heard throughout the room, making the children wave at him enthusiastically. "And one freakishly tall, rude, cranky person," he adds and I feel him pat me on the back.

"Everyone is tall next to you, Cupcake," I say flatly, lazily standing up. "Is something wrong?"

"Why do you always assume bad shit?" He asks, pursing his lips. "David is gone, so you're in charge now. He once again decided to try to make an alliance with Ace since Vortex is now a common enemy."

I frown, my light mood disappearing. "I hope it'll work, but since he denied it the first time, I wouldn't count on it."

"Did I ever tell you how much I love your positivity?" Niall says.

"It's called being realistic." I force a smile and turn, looking down at the children. "I have to leave, but I'll come back soon, okay?"

Their faces fall slightly and Tommy rolls his eyes. I frown, extending my pinky finger. "Pinky promise, kid."

He circles his finger around mine, grinning happily. "I believe you."

I feel Niall's hand on my shoulder and I quickly turn. "H, it's Sunday, there's nothing that requires your presence in the office. Stay with them," he tries to persuade me.

"You never know when the enemy might attack," I say firmly. I make sure to greet the children, giving them hugs and ruffling Tommy's hair like I always do, making him smile.

"Don't forget my story!" Alice calls as I begin leaving, smiling widely.

"Never, Little Dove," I call back before leaving the room.

. . . .

A few knocks are heard, pulling me from my nap. My head is tipped backwards, my arms hanging on my sides, my lips parted. I jolt up quickly and knock a few papers off the desk, cursing under my breath as I bend down to pick them up. Before I can let the person in, the door opens and I accidentally bang my head against the edge of the desk as I straighten up, tossing the papers on it in anger.