Chapter 7

We laid down on the blanket and looked at the stairs. I intwined our fingers as I looked at the stars in awe.

"It's so beautiful", I said. "It is", Nathan agreed. I shivered. "You cold?" Nathan asked me. I nodded. He went to the car for a moment and came back with a blanket. He draped it over us.

I kissed his cheek and looked back at the mesmerizing sky. "I have something for you", Nathan said.

I sat up. Nathan grabbed the basket and put it in front of him. He opened the basket to reveal a long black box.

He handed it to me. I opened it and gasped. It was a silver heart necklace. I took it out of the box and examined it more closely.

It had an engraving on it. I looked closer and read what it said.

Forever and Always

I smiled. I turned and kissed Nathan. "Thank you it's beautiful", I said to him.

"Look on the back", Nathan said with a smile. I turned it around and looked at it.

N + E

"I love it", I said. "I'm glad you do", he said. "Can you help me put it on?" I asked him. He nodded.

I handed it to him and turned around. He placed it around my neck and fastened the clasp.

I turned back around to face him. I grinned at him, he grinned back and pressed our lips together.

I smiled into the kiss. We pulled apart and laid back down. I snuggled up to Nathan to keep warm.

I continued looking up at the stars. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of the crisp November air.

--Flashback--

"Emily I want you to meet Andrew", my mum said. "We think you both would be right for each other", a woman said.

"Mom I don't want a boyfriend", I said. "She's just joking. Of course she does. She cares about the fate of Necromancers. The gene must be passed down", my mum said.

"Mum, no. Stop trying to set me up with guys. I can make my own decisions. I will find love on my own. It isn't all about genes, it's about loving the person you're in a relationship with. I don't want my kid to be just something created as a science experiment. I want that kid to grow up in a loving home. Not like the home I grew up in", I said.

My mum looked at me angrily. "Go up to your room Emily Anne", my mum said. She was very mad. She never used my middle name.

I walked up into my room. I laid down on my bed and cried. Life sucked... If only things could get better for me..

--Back to reality--

A tear ran down my cheek. "What's wrong?" Nathan asked panicked. I hugged him tight and sobbed.

He hugged me back. "Did I do something wrong?" he asked panicking.

"No, you didn't do anything. These are happy tears. I'm so grateful to have you. I never knew what love was until I met you. My mum always tried to set me up with complete assholes. I've never felt this way about someone before. It's just I love you so much Natha-" he cut me off by smashing his lips into mine.

I was caught off guard but then started kissing back. I tangled my fingers in his soft hair. He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him.

We were so close to couldn't even fit a piece of paper between us. He licked my bottom lip with his tongue. I opened my mouth letting him in.