LJ10 - Part 23

Lauren's POV

The festivities had begun.

It was Christmas Eve and I couldn't remember the last time I had been with my entire family and not having an internal breakdown. This far everything was going smoothly. My mom and aunts had prepared a huge dinner for everyone and even my dad was there. The atmosphere was relaxed and everyone was enjoying the holiday spirit.

Obviously I wasn't completely at ease but my anxiety was at low levels which was a victory to me. There was a small part of me that still felt on edge as if my mom could relapse at any moment but I kept telling myself not to worry. She had been sober for a while and I had to adjust my mindset around her. It was nice to see her like this. In a way, I was getting to know her for the person she really was and vice versa; which was going to be a long process but I was hopeful we were growing closer throughout.

With all the people around, I had to get away for a little while though. The last couple of days, or weeks, had been somewhat draining. Orlando had been wonderful and I was excited to get back to soccer. That didn't mean it wasn't exhausting. My body wasn't used to this much exertion anymore but I knew I'd get back into shape with time. The other part was way more tiring - the mental part.

Deciding to give up my life in New York was a huge change. I was processing everything while trying to mend my family relationships. Not to mention that I was missing Camila. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard someone opening the door to join me on the porch.

„There you are," my little sister Taylor said and approached me.

„I needed some fresh air," I explained while she took a seat next to me.

„It's quite crowded in there," she inhaled deeply to enjoy the evening breeze. „But I'm so happy you came to see us."

„Me too," I agreed honestly.

„How is Camila?" Taylor asked about my girlfriend and I instantly smiled.

„She's good. We talked this morning and everything seems fine," I answered.

„Is she with her family as well?"

„Kind of," I hesitated a little. „She's with her daughter and the father's family."

„Oh," the younger one was clearly surprised. „And you're okay with that?"

„Yeah, absolutely," I nodded quickly. „I've been down the jealousy road and it's not a good one to take. I trust her and she's not on good terms with her own family, so this seems like the next best thing."

„You should've brought her with you! And her daughter," Taylor remarked.

„No, I don't want her to think we're moving too fast," I disagreed mildly.

„She's already been here, Lauren," my sibling chuckled.

„I know but she wasn't my girlfriend back then," I countered although Taylor rolled her eyes. „What?"

„Like it wasn't obvious back then that you were totally in love with each other," she grinned at me and I couldn't disguise a flustered smile.

„I just...don't want to mess it up," I confessed with a low sigh.

„Aw, I've never seen you like this," the light-haired girl gently shoved my shoulder. „Who knew my big sister is such a lovesick puppy."

„I'm not," I tried to protest.

„Don't be embarrassed, Lauren. It's cute. I'm happy you found someone that you're comfortable opening up to," she said supportingly. „I know you always want to protect me and don't want me to see you vulnerable, but I know how hard it is for you to do that. From the little time I got to spend with Camila, she seems like a great person. And most importantly, she makes you happy. That's all I want."