LJ10 - Epilogue

Epilogue

Like most mornings, I was up first. Most people didn't understand why I enjoyed waking up early but I had always loved mornings. The idea that every new day was a new chance was corny to some, however true to me. There were few things that were certain in life, the sun rising every morning anew was one them. Perhaps that was the reason I always made sure to watch the sunrise if I could. It was a symbol of hope to me.

And like almost every morning, I took a shower to start the day. I gathered my clothes and put them on while searching for my watch. Looking around the bedroom, I saw the accessory on the nightstand. Quietly walking over, it was my intention not to wake up my wife who was the opposite of a morning person.

Camila looked perfectly asleep. I couldn't help myself but watch her peaceful facial features as I put on the watch. Smiling to myself, I bent down afterwards and very softly kissed the brunette's forehead. Almost walking away, I felt a hand grab mine and turned around again.

"Where are you going?" Camila's sleepy voice appeared.

"I didn't mean to wake you," I whispered quietly. "Go back to sleep, babe."

"Why are you even up?" she asked clearly confused all while her eyes were still closed, only her hand holding on to mine.

"I just wanted to check on something. I'll be back soon."

"Hold on," Camila's grip on my hand strengthened. "What could you possibly be doing on a Sunday morning at..." her eyes finally opened to take a look at the watch on my wrist before she whined," not even 7 in the morning?"

"I wanted to go by the house and take some measurements," I explained.

"You're crazy," she sighed deeply.

"I think the word you're looking for is dedicated," I chuckled in amusement.

"No," Camila mumbled drowsily.

"The house is not going to build itself. It's not like I'm doing it for myself. I'm doing it for us," I continued in a quiet tone.

"Yes but...Sunday is the day of rest," my wife argued.

"And I'm rested. It won't take long, I promise," I assured and wanted to free my hand.

"Noooo," Camila whined once more. "Come back to bed."

"Camila," I sighed quietly. "Don't make me feel bad, please."

"Just ten minutes of cuddling," she wanted to bargain now.

"It won't be ten minutes and you know it," I answered with a grin.

"Why not?"

"Because you'll drape yourself all over me as usual so I can't move let alone escape," I returned quickly. Camila was now smiling for the first time and therefore acknowledged I was right. I assumed this was her way of saying I could go and let go of her hand.

"Are you really not going to come back to bed to cuddle with your wife for ten minutes because of a stupid house?" her tone was a mixture of offense and playfulness. I was very aware of what she was doing and that she wasn't genuinely upset but it worked every time.

"Alright, scoot over," I said with another deep sigh. Camila's lips formed a big smile as she made room for me to get into bed again. She didn't hesitate and immediately cuddled up to my side as soon as I was lying down. "You're so pleased with yourself now, aren't you?"

"Maybe," she smirked.

"It's not a stupid house, by the way," I interjected. "It's our future home that I've been working on for months now."