LJ10 - Part 4

The anticipation of what was going to happen was killing me. After Lauren had suggested cooking dinner tonight, I wasn’t able to stop thinking about it. However, there was this strange feeling of something bad waiting to happen instilled me.

Unfortunately I was proven right when I received a text message from Lauren a few hours after she had left.

“Hey. I’m so sorry but I have to cancel our plans tonight. I just finished my presentation. My boss was so impressed that he’s sending me to our LA office to share my ideas…tonight! I won’t be back until this weekend. But I’ll make it up to you, promise. I hope you’re not mad – Lauren”

I couldn’t deny the disappointment I felt. It wasn’t only about dinner but more about the fact that yet another week would pass without us really interacting. I realized how selfish that was and put my feelings aside.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m happy that your presentation went so well! Sounds like you finally made the impression you’ve been trying so hard to make. We can have dinner to celebrate when you’re back. You know where to find me :) Enjoy your trip. Are you coming back to get some stuff before you leave?”

I read over my reply before I sent it and received an answer quickly.

“Thank you. It means a lot coming from you. I’ll be heading to the airport right after work so I won’t come to the apartment. The firm took care of everything. I’ll see you soon!”

And with that I knew that I was spending another week wondering what was even going on with Lauren outside of work. This weekend she had disappeared after getting a phone call from Emily and whenever we wanted to talk, something got in the way. I tried to keep a positive mindset and be patient though.

Maybe I’d get answers when she would return this weekend.

-

Alone at the apartment, I noticed that it had gotten pretty late. It was a Saturday so I didn’t have to wake up early the next day and subconsciously I was hoping a certain dark-haired woman would arrive. I wasn’t sure when Lauren would return from her business trip and it didn’t seem like she would until I heard the front door opening.

My heart immediately leaped in my chest. I had told myself repeatedly over the course of the week to be calm and not think so much about her. It had worked to a certain extend. I had gone back to my usual routine of doing things before my former teammate had reentered my life. Of course I thought about her still but I was determined not to put any pressure on whatever was going to happen.

Now that I knew she was back, all my resolutions were out the window it seemed. My pulse was quickening as I attempted to appear casual while remaining seated on the couch. It took a couple of seconds before I heard steps approaching. Turning my head, I finally saw Lauren coming closer and smiling softly.

“Hey, I didn’t think you’d still be up”, she greeted and didn’t hesitate to sit down next to me.

“Welcome back”, I replied gently. “I was just watching some trashy TV.”

“Sounds good”, her voice sounded exhausted and that was to be expected after a long flight. “Is Lara at Austin’s?”

“Yeah”, I nodded quickly because my daughter spent the weekends with her father. “How are you? You look pretty tired.”

“I am but at the same time I’m not”, Lauren chuckled while bundling up her dark locks in a ponytail. “Physically I’m tired but my head is still processing. It might take a while to shut down.”

“I’m curious to hear about your trip if you’re not too tired”, I admitted and saw her green eyes meeting my gaze.

“It was amazing”, the slightly hoarse voice filled with excitement. “I mean, it was a lot to take in but they loved my ideas over there. Therefore I finally have some recognition here as well. Or at least I hope so. It all went by so fast. Maybe I do need to sleep on it so I can explain it more in detail. But overall it went great.”