LJ10 - Part 33 (Final chapter)

Final chapter

-

Propped up on my elbow, my eyes were focused on the young woman still sleeping peacefully next to me. It had become somewhat of a ritual for me to watch Camila sleep for a little while before I got up. My fiancée definitely liked her sleep whereas I enjoyed starting the day earlier. But before I did, I had formed the small habit of staying in bed for a few minutes with her even if she wasn't awake. It was the best way to start the day.

At times I was still taken aback that this was how my day started now – every day; with her. The reality of us being together and not having separation looming in the not so far distance took time to process. For the first time we weren't living in different cities. And more importantly, for the first time our relationship had sustained a stability that made me excited to start off every single day with her.

My thoughts came to an abrupt end when I noticed Camila opening her eyes slowly. The lazy look in them made me smile instantly. She kept shutting and opening her eyes, gradually waking up from her slumber as I used my free hand to gently stroke her cheek. Her barely audible sigh of pleasure encouraged me to keep going. Only using the tip of my fingers to brush the loose strands of hair behind her ear, I appreciated all the moments that perhaps seemed minor to other people. To me, considering everything we had gone through, waking up to her like this was still special every time.

"Stop," Camila's raspy morning-voice suddenly said.

"Stop what?" I asked clearly surprised.

"Looking at me like that," she whispered bashfully. "I'm barely awake and have butterflies in my stomach already."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I chuckled and continued stroking the other brunette's hair. "I thought that was a good thing."

She didn't respond but simply closed her eyes again to revel in my light touches. Watching her drift in and out of her sleep was inexplicably adorable to me. Even her drowsiness was something I had fallen in love with. Being able to witness and share all those parts with each other didn't scare me like I had feared in the past. It was surprisingly easy to be vulnerable with her by now. I watched her chest moving rhythmically, breathing softly before focusing on her face again to see her eyes being open.

"No one has ever looked at me the way you do," Camila whispered apparently more awake this time.

"So now you like it?" I teased a little.

"Of course I do," she smiled at me which made my own heart flutter. "What are you thinking about?"

"Just...how lucky I am," I answered reciprocating her smile.

"You're such a smooth talker," she released a small laugh.

"No, I'm being serious," I said and took a deep breath. "I'm taking it all in that we've come this far. I mean...did you think we would ever end up here?"

"There was no way I could know, but I was hopeful," Camila revealed.

"Even after all the craziness we put each other through?" I couldn't help but grin slightly.

"Yes," her voice sounded determined. "I felt like our story wasn't finished. It wasn't that we didn't love each other because we did. But we weren't in the right situation. That's why I didn't lose hope when you broke up with me."

"Wait, hold up," I withdrew my hand from her hair. "I never broke up with you."

"Yes, you did," Camila disagreed immediately.

"When?" I genuinely wondered what she was talking about.

"After the whole custody debacle," she replied. "You came to the trial and we talked outside of the court house."