Chapter 1

The final duel between Yugi and the pharaoh had come to an end with Yugi coming victorious. However, it meant Atem would be gone, this time forever. The gang was crying already missing their friend and here she was, standing beside them unable to do anything to save her broken heart because he was leaving.

"Pharaoh, I know walking through that door means your spirit will finally be free and it's all for the best, but it doesn't seem fair. I mean, I feel we're all just getting to know you; in fact, you're just beginning to get to know yourself and now you've been taken away from us. I know we should be happy for you but it's really hard to do that when you're losing your best friend and you just don't understand why it has to be that way!"

Téa was speaking through her tears. There was a far different reason she did not want him to go. Téa was sobbing completely powerless to stop what was coming next. Joey was saying how lucky they were knowing him at all. Still, it wasn't fair, and Téa wasn't ready to let him go. Téa didn't think she would ever be. The brunette put her hand on her heart and the cartouche with his name: just like the one she gave him, but instead of one she had gotten two that day, to keep one safe with her; to keep him safe.

'Goodbye Atem,' Téa thought, still tasting and getting used to his real name. It looked like she would never have the chance to do so.

After a few moments, the light grew stronger and he kept walking towards it. Téa wished to go after him and stop him before it was too late. The seconds passed by and soon his clothes changed; he wasn't their friend anymore, he was the Pharaoh going back to his time, his people. Téa could see his smile, his face one last time before everything was gone. The instant it happened the cave began collapsing and everything went dark...

*

Téa woke up breathing heavily from her dream. It was so real as usual. Téa dreamed a lot about this. Sometimes Téa woke up crying or screaming. It was turning into a nightmare for her, the day she lost her heart. Téa was trembling, fighting back the tears. It had been a whole year, but the pain was there – all fresh and devastating. Was it going to stop hurting so much one day? Téa wasn't her normal self anymore. Dancing wasn't enough to make her happy, nothing was lately. Téa got up from bed doing her morning routine mechanically. Téa stared at her reflection: her hair was a good few inches longer which was nice, but her eyes were so sad with an empty hollowness and that was evident everywhere. Téa looked even paler than before. Sighing, Téa went back to her room choosing something to wear.

Téa was eighteen now and they'd just finished high school, but she was completely lacking any purpose. True, Téa worked part-time in a dance studio, a far much better job than the fast-food restaurant but still, this wasn't a solution yet. Téa had a dream once to go to a college abroad, but it seemed from another life when she was happier and had a reason to dream for. Téa had applied locally, not really willing to move somewhere else. The brunette girl was wearing a purple and white sports outfit, her hair tied up in a messy bun. Téa took her bag and went to work still relieving her memory for a thousand time. Téa remembered it so clearly as if it was yesterday Atem leaving the world of the living and entering the afterlife forever. Téa was bitterly regretting not telling him how she felt. Maybe it wouldn't have changed anything but still, Téa couldn't know now. It was worse to regret not telling and wonder what would've happened. Now, Téa was, even more, blaming herself. It was her fault for not confessing her feelings after all. Her heart was heavy again; it seemed to be a long day to go.

*

Her morning group has finished, and Téa had a lunch break, so she decided to go to the nearby café. Téa ordered something randomly and stared at the street. When outside, Téa always seemed to see couples everywhere. Maybe it was her brain playing with her, but Téa was seeing happy couples laughing and chatting together, hands in hands or kissing... it hurt a lot. Téa broke her eye contact with the people, it was too much to bear so she played with her cup of coffee. Somewhere deep inside Téa felt something growing stronger and stronger. Maybe it was her pain, Téa didn't know at that moment. It happened in an instant: one moment Téa was in this small café in Domino and the next Téa was somewhere else, somewhere... foreign. Téa was so deep in her sorrow and when she noticed the change it was like a hallucination. Téa was in another place a moment ago and then everything switched to normal. Was she going crazy?! Téa grasped the cup tightly. Her imagination was out of control like everything else in her life nowadays. The sorrowful look returned to her face. Sometimes Téa was angry at herself for not telling Atem, other times she was angry at everyone, particularly Joey for stopping her from following him, Yugi for looking so much like him but deep down Téa knew it wasn't their fault.