Chapter 16

There were left only two of the Spell Thieves, now that Alazar was out of the game. However, the other two wouldn't be that stupid and make the same mistake twice. Atem had no powers, nor Millennium Puzzle but still, Atem was a threat to them, and they had a pretty good idea of his skills now. Atem was back at the game shop but he was spending so much time with Téa, so Atem was mainly staying there for the nights, but this was soon to change as well. The truth was, after the duel Téa felt weaker, Atem might have won but the Spell Thieves managed to steal something, even if it were a tiny bit. The next day Téa had to go somewhere in the past or wherever just to use the necklace or she'd end up in a random place at a random time. Feeling with no options left, Téa chose to go to the afterlife, meeting with Teana always seemed so awkward. It was like talking to yourself in the mirror, however, your reflection was replying to you. Besides, Teana always made her feel insecure in herself, the princess was so much more than Téa could ever be. Taking a deep breath, Téa looked around. Téa wasn't that familiar with these people but hopefully, they wouldn't mind her presence here. On her way in the gardens, Téa was met by Kaiba's past self and was that Shadi?

"My lady," they both bowed their heads her way.

"Shadi?" he looked at her in confusion.

"It's Shada, my lady." Again, lady.

"Oh right, sorry." They bowed again leaving her a bit confused only to be taken aback by Isis.

"Don't be confused, my lady. We all know what part of our king's life you are." Téa blushed.

"Oh, Isis, you scared me."

"Pardon me, my lady, I meant not scaring you." Téa only nodded.

"I'm no lady," Téa shook her head.

"Oh, but you are. I have a feeling you'll be the queen we never had the pleasure to have and we're thankful for what you're doing for our king. He deserves to feel real happiness for himself; not the world, or the gods, just him." The hint in Isis' eyes told her of stories long happened and a lot of sadness.

"I have very deep feelings for him, Isis. I don't know how I'll be able to say goodbye again." This bothered Téa every single moment. The High Priestess smiled knowingly.

"I'm sure it'll all turn out for both of you. You only need to have faith." Isis touched her hand gently giving it a light squeeze before leaving.

Should Téa believe her? How could it all turn out the way Téa wanted when the only thing Téa really wanted was Atem? Téa stayed alone with her dark thoughts for the rest of her stay in the afterlife.

*

Later that day, Atem came to Téa's house. They were having a night in watching movies and eating popcorn like any other couple. It was a good few hours of snuggling on the couch and pecking on the lips, the movie half-forgotten when the TV stopped as well as the electricity in the whole house. That got their attention, finally noticing the storm outside.

"Oh, the weather's terrible. You should stay here Atem," Téa looked at him in concern.

"Are you sure?" Atem wasn't so sure himself it was a wise idea.

"Of course!" Téa replied immediately. "Let's go and find some flashlights and make you a room to stay in." Téa took his hand and got up, Atem following slightly behind.

They found flashlights in the kitchen and Téa guided him upstairs. Téa showed him the vacant bedroom Atem could use; Atem only needed some blankets and such. Téa went to the big wardrobe in the hall only to stop in her tracks. All of this was perfect, but it was a borrowed time and Téa was sick of waiting. When Téa returned empty-handed, Atem looked puzzled at her.