Chapter 9

Téa returned to her time anticipating their next meeting. Finally, after so long, Téa felt better but only because she saw him and knew that she'd do it again. Téa was addicted to his very being. The pharaoh meant to her more than everything. Téa had no idea yet what would she give not to be separated from him again. Téa was far much readier to face the new day and all it came with it as she now had a better purpose than ever. Téa fell asleep with a smile on her face after such a long time.

*

Atem couldn't explain it but he was feeling... happier. As if some mechanism had been trigged and Atem felt like himself again. Atem tried to convince himself it was because of seeing one of his friends and knowing how they're doing but... deep down Atem knew the truth and it had nothing to do with that. Atem was simply happy because of her appearance in the afterlife. Later after Téa was gone, Atem went to tell Isis about Téa's state and that Téa might be visiting them quite often. The Priestess only smiled at that as if knowing something Atem didn't. Atem was so deep in his thoughts that never noticed his childhood friend Mana approaching him.

"Atem!" Mana brought him out of his daydreaming.

"Hey Mana," Mana noticed the change instantly. The news about the visitor from the mortal world was spreading quickly and they were all intrigued to know more.

"I heard from Isis you met a friend of yours today," Mana tossed it casually.

"Oh, yes. It's a bit complicated but yes." Atem couldn't help his smile.

"Now you're happier," Mana said as a matter of fact. Atem remembered her last outburst and didn't want to upset her with the truth. "It's okay, really. I'm sorry for reacting so furiously last time. I feel a bit jealous of them because I was your best friend back then. I guess we've been five thousand years apart, so I can't judge you."

"I do want to feel right here but my soul has been in the mortal world for too long, I feel too attached to that reality and the stillness here... I never thought I'd miss all the dangers and adventures." Mana chuckled.

"Well, that one I understand. At first, I found it so boring and almost made the gods angry because I was a bit naughty with magic and... everything." Atem suppressed a laugh. Atem could believe her; Mana was the type of girl who was always overexcited and full of energy. Being able to do nothing and stay still... that was the complete opposite of Mana.

"So, who was the friend to visit you?" Mana asked purposefully.

"It was Téa, she's some kind of an heir to an ancient princess and she has newfound powers allowing her to travel in time."

"I guess Téa will be coming again, then." Mana had a smug expression on her face.

"Yeah, I think so." Atem said but she almost heard 'hope' instead of 'think' in his voice.

Mana knew her old friend very well despite the time distance. Atem never had the chance to be an ordinary person; he had to save the world times and times again. Atem was all so powerful and everything but lacked what normal people or even royalties had: a normal life, family, usual everyday troubles... love. If nothing of this had happened, Atem might've been a great pharaoh and rule with kindness, marry, raise an heir, get old... But Atem never had the chance. Right now, Mana saw not the king or the hero, but the man with his bare soul.

"I remember her, it'd be nice to see her again." Atem nodded not so excited about this.

Atem wanted to spend every precious second, they had together with her and probably alone. Her spending time with the others... It was selfish of him to think like this, but Atem couldn't help it. It was a chance Atem was so lucky to have and didn't wish to miss any of it. Mana noticed his discontent towards her idea. So, her friend was jealous of her. Mana almost chuckled aloud. Atem had fallen so badly obviously.