Chapter 12

Téa was sleeping peacefully but Atem felt better watching over her so he wouldn't lose her from his sight. However, staying beside her waiting let his mind wander on stranger tides. Atem came to the crucial conclusion that his feelings were far from platonic only. That was something Atem had been afraid of for a very long time. Yugi was like a brother to him but Téa was his dearest friend. Atem had spent the most time with her of the whole gang. Téa was kind, courageous, supporting and always there to help. Atem loved this side of her but was it the only one he loved?

Atem hated seeing her hurt and every time in every danger his first thought was always about her. It was stronger than him, Atem had the urge to look out for her first. Maybe this wasn't left unnoticed by Yugi. No matter how hard Atem tried to hide everything else, his instincts and reactions were exposed for all to see. Atem remembered the time when he lost Yugi's soul to the Orichalcos. Atem was a terrible companion, to say the least; Atem was in a sour mood blaming himself for it yet Téa stood up to him and tried to cheer him up. How Téa found the courage Atem did not know but admired her for her attempt. Then it was the accident with the train, Atem was glad Téa joined him, not knowing how Téa was would've been devastating for him. Later, during his duel with Weevil, Atem had been already angered and throwing Téa out of the roof because of the seal had made him livid. In the end, Téa was the one to stop the storm of anger inside him. Téa calmed him, broke through the veil of darkness around him. The train crash though wasn't anything Atem was happy about. Even when falling in the gap, Atem kept thinking of her, would they survive this, would she? Again, and again, his deepest fears were always concerned about her.

The duel against Joey in Battle City had been one of the hardest Atem had faced. On one side was Joey in Marik's control duelling him, both of them chained to an anchor, while Téa was bound to a chair with a load waiting on top of her to smash her. His heart pleaded to go and save her, Atem was in such a dilemma. Atem was thankful Yugi had taken over because he'd wanted to save Téa and he couldn't hide it.

Atem was growing some strange and unfamiliar feelings about her, but it was neither the time nor the place for this kind of things. Atem knew he was on borrowed time here and couldn't stay permanently. Despite that, they only grew stronger. That was why it was so hard to go when his heart was telling him to stay. If Téa had stopped him, Atem wouldn't have gone even if it meant for him to be trapped for another five millennia. Atem knew he'd give everything for her. She was his Téa, his one and only love.

So, it was true, Atem did love her. Atem had never admitted it, not even once in fear of what would've happened if he did. It was safer and better for her. Atem was the spirit of a long-dead pharaoh, their relationship... if anything happened, it could've been impossible and only hurt her. No, Atem couldn't have done it to her. It was too cruel to make her fall in love only to let him go for good. Yet, Téa was here now and brought to the surface his most intimate and deepest desires. It was an action that got out of control last time, but Téa was responding to him. Did Téa feel the same way about him? Would Atem ever know?

His thoughts were disturbed by a sudden moan. Téa was coming to consciousness, making him approach her bed immediately. Her hand went to her head, Téa surely had a headache now. Slowly, her lids opened revealing her sapphire blue eyes. Atem smiled instinctively looking at her lovely face and features.

"What happened? Where am I?" Téa asked confused

Her vision cleared, and she saw Atem staring at her. Atem was somewhat concerned and somewhat... Téa couldn't place it yet. Wait, Atem? How... Téa looked around realising she was in the afterlife. Téa wasn't dead, was she? Téa remembered the Spell Thieves chasing after her but she escaped then... it was all blurred to her. Téa went unconscious but how? Téa must have fallen in some way and then came here, to Atem. Téa tried to stand but it hurt everywhere, and Téa groaned.