Chapter One

One

Smoke filled the air. Once beautiful, massive forests were burning.

I looked around. I didn't understand what was happening.

People all around me were running with panicked looks on their faces. They constantly looked back, as if something horrible would emerge from the smouldering forest.

"What's going on?" I tried to ask one of the passers-by, but they acted as though I was invisible.

A group of people came from the forest, and I turned my attention to them.

There was a guy who looked like the leader at the center of the group. He was smiling evilly, holding a ball of fire in each hand.

Even though no one else seemed to be able to see me, his eyes landed on me and his smirk grew bigger.

"Time for you to meet your fate, saviour girl," he said scornfully, advancing towards me.

ෆ ධ ෆ

I sat up in bed, breathing hard.

Okay, I told myself. It was just a dream. It's fine.

"Callie!"

Well, maybe it's not fine.

I sighed, crawling out of bed. The cold air hit my bare arms as soon as I took the blankets off. Shivering, I grabbed a big sweater, and put it on.

I plodded downstairs, taking my time until my mom yelled at me again.

"Callie! Hurry up! School starts soon!"

"I know, I know," I grumbled. I pulled out a bowl, and prepared myself a lovely breakfast of cereal. I quickly scarfed it down, and then headed upstairs to change.

Once I was finished getting ready for school, I sat down on the couch.

"Callie, it's time to get ready for school!" my little brother Dorian sang, running around the room.

I groaned, but forced myself to get up, slip into my shoes and coat, grab my coat, and head out of the door.

Dorian was only in grade two, but he was a very, and I mean very, early riser.

When I reached school, I grabbed the stuff I needed for my first two classes and hurriedly headed to home room.

Hi. I guess I haven't properly introduced myself yet. My name is Callie Prespa. I thought I was an ordinary person, just like everyone else, but boy, was I wrong.

"Okay, settle down," the English teacher said.

I sat in a desk at the front of the classroom. No one else liked sitting this close to the teacher, so no one would bother me.

"Pull out your homework from last night," the teacher instructed.

Our homework was writing a rough draft of a story. It wasn't supposed to be very long, but I'm naturally a writer, so I might have already written four pages, back and front.

The teacher walked around, eyes scanning everyone's piece of lined paper. I glanced back to see that not many people's pages very filled.

My eyes skimmed over my sister's page, which looked like it had only two sentences. I turned around.

My sister, Evie, and I were complete opposites. I was the smart nerdy one who was good a school and what-not, whereas she was the popular, pretty one, who was captain of the cheerleader team.