Chapter Twenty Four

Twenty Four

"Mom!" I screamed. I moved Dorian so it was like I was giving him a piggy-back ride instead of him clinging onto me desperately, and began to run.

     When I reached the town square, Phoenix was staring at the orb with wonder, and then glancing at Mom to see if it worked or not. I didn't know what it was supposed to do, but I only hoped it wasn't supposed to kill her.

     I set Dorian down, holding his hand and running over to Ashton, Nash, Lillie, Evie, and Mom. Mom was groaning and I breathed a sigh of relief. She's alive.

     "Did it work?" Phoenix asked eagerly.

     "I don't want to find out," Ashton grumbled, while at the same time, Lillie questioned, "What's it supposed to do?"

     "That is secret information," Phoenix said, glaring at her. He started to walk towards Mom, but Ashton and Nash stepped in front of her protectively.

     "Let me see her," Phoenix demanded. "Let me see if it worked!"

     "You know," Ashton said thoughtfully, "you're defenceless right now, and we greatly outnumber you."

     "Who said I'm defenceless?" Phoenix said slyly, before yelling, "Penny!"

     Instantly, a girl appeared beside Phoenix. "Yes sir?" she asked, sounding eager to help him.

     "You see," Phoenix explained to Ashton and Nash, who were slowly advancing towards Phoenix as he spoke. "Penny here has the power of teleportation." He smirked. "I'm not so defenceless now." He whispered something in Penny's ear, and then they disappeared.

     "Guys, behind you!" I shouted when I spotted Phoenix appear behind  the two boys, closer to Mom.

     The boys whirled around, stepping over Mom and forming a half protective circle around her. Lillie and Evie completed the other half while I continued to half-run, half-walk towards the group.

     "Why are you trying to protect and woman you don't even know?" Phoenix asked angrily.

     They didn't answer, and soon I reached the circle, taking a part in it.

     "Guys," Nash said quietly while Phoenix was talking. "All grab hands."

     "Why?" Lillie asked.

     "Just do it," Ashton hissed.

     We all joined hands, and Nash leaned down to grab a hold of my mom. Phoenix looked at us in confusion, but just as he realized Nash's plan, it was too late, because by then, we were in the Powers camp.

     "Is she okay?" I worriedly knelt down beside Mom, checking for a pulse. She was still alive, thank goodness.

     "She's still alive, but I don't know what that orb was supposed to do," Ashton said, glancing down at Mom before looking up at Lillie. "Lillie, go around checking if anyone needs healing."

     "Okay." Lillie skipped away.

     "Callie, you got Dorian back!" Evie cried, picking up our brother. "I missed you so much!"

     "Come on," Nash said, nudging me when my stomach growled loudly. "Let's go get something to eat."

     "But-" I began, looking down at Mom.

     "I'll take care of your mom," Ashton assured me. "Don't worry."

     I smiled at him. "Thanks." Then I turned and walked away towards the food tent with Nash.