Epilogue

Epilogue

Callie died. Nash died. Phoenix died. Kirsten died. Daniel died. Lillie died. Lilac died. Violet died. A lot of people died, but that's life, isn't it?

     Ashton didn't die, but he was heartbroken. He and Nash were close, and Ashton had a secret crush on Callie. Callie knew; she had had a vision about it, after all. That boy by the tent? That was Ashton. Nash also had a crush on Callie, but he didn't want to ruin his and Ashton's friendship as well as his and Callie's friendship, so he said nothing.

     Evie didn't die, but she didn't have anything to live for. Her sister was dead. Her father was dead. Her real mother was dead. Her step-mother was dead. None of her friends were her friends anymore. She didn't see any reason to keep living, and she would have taken her life, if it weren't for her seven-year-old brother, Dorian. He lived as well. He had gotten out of the Powers camp once he had smelled smoke.

     Ashton also kept close to Dorian, since he was the only part of Callie he had left. Sure, there was Evie, but she didn't look like Callie, or act like Callie. Dorian had Callie's piercing gray eyes, and acted shy but could be stubborn. Like Callie.

     Evie and Ashton eventually got together, after Ashton had fully accepted that Callie was gone for good, that she wasn't coming back. The two of them took care of Dorian. Nine years later, at the age of twenty-five, they got married. Dorian was the age that the two of them were when their lives changed dramatically, sixteen, and they prayed that the both wouldn't have to go through what they did, although he already had, at the age of seven.

     Callie and the rest of the Powers who had died went up to Heaven. Lillie and Angela were reunited. Callie's mom and dad were reunited.

     Callie watched as Ashton and Evie snuggled together on their couch in the Prespa's old house with Dorian sitting next to them, flipping through TV channels. She was happy that Ashton had moved on, and that he had chosen Evie, who had had a crush on him since she first saw him.

     Dorian looked up at the sky, as if somehow feeling that his sister was looking down at him, watching over him. He smiled sadly.

     "I miss you, sis," he whispered softly. Even though he whispered, Callie could hear him loud and clear.

     "I miss you too," she said, and Nash, who was sitting next to her, pulled her into a hug.

     "It's going to be okay," he said, and that was the truth. The Powers had all gone back to their normal lives, trying to forget everything that had happened. Nothing like that was ever going to happen again. Most of the Goldbloods were dead, and the ones that were alive weren't brave enough to try that again. Callie and everyone she loved was safe, and that's all she could ask for.

     "You know," she said, "even though everyone died, I think it still ended happily."

     And she was right. Everyone was happy, despite everything that had happened to them during their short lifetime.

     So, this is where the story ends. It wasn't necessarily a happy ending, but life doesn't necessarily have a happy ending, and you need to remember that.