Chapter Seveteen

Seventeen

"Time to wake up," a voice sang, and then I was drenched in water.

     My eyes flew open and I sat up, shivering. Phoenix loomed over me, holding a bucket that I assumed used to hold the ice cold water until it was poured over my head.

     "What do you want?" I asked through chattering teeth. I was usually cold enough as it was; add some cold water, and I was absolutely freezing.

     Phoenix rolled his eyes. "It's not that cold," he said scornfully, but a ball of flame appeared in his palm anyways, heating up the room and me.

     I was about to thank him, but I bit my tongue. He's the bad guy, I scolded myself. He kidnapped you, burned down your school, killed Lilac, killed Angela, killed Carter; killed many people. You shouldn't be thanking him.

     "What do you want?" I grumbled, hugging myself.

     "To find out what your other power is," Phoenix said, and I raised my eyebrow.

     "How do you know if I've even got a second power?" I questioned. I guess I hadn't considered my visions powers until now. They just seemed like... I don't know, not powers.

     "I can sense it," Phoenix explained. "People like us can sense if a person has a power or not, and I can sense that you've got two, possibly even three."

     "How are you going to find out my second power, then?" I demanded.

     Phoenix smirked. "I'll find a way." I swallowed. "Come on; get up."

     "What's wrong with right here?" I inquired.

     Phoenix looked around. "I'd rather we go to another room, so it's either you come with me by yourself, or I get Abaddon to use his power. Which one?"

     I got up reluctantly, and Phoenix grabbed my arm. I scrunched up my eyebrows, thinking. There might be a way I can make Phoenix let go of me, and then I can escape. This might not end well, considering I've got handcuffs on, but it was worth a try.

     I lifted my elbow and hit Phoenix in the face, hard. He let go, and I made a run for it, but he stuck out his leg and I tumbled to the ground. Phoenix picked me up, and I felt a cold metal against my head.

     A gun.

     I froze, and Phoenix chuckled. "You know, I should just kill you," he said, digging the gun deeper into my temple. "But you're useful, and I like seeing you scared."

     "I-I'm not scared," I lied. I heard a click, and winced. Phoenix snorted.

     "Yeah, right." I could practically see him rolling his eyes. "Now, walk." I didn't move. "I said, walk. Unless you want a bullet going through your arm or leg. I'm fine with that."

     I started walking quickly, and Phoenix laughed. I entered a room, and Phoenix shut the door behind him, leaving just him and I in the room.

     "So," Phoenix said casually, leaning up against the wall, "what's your second power?"

     I snorted. "You really think I'm going to tell you?"

     Phoenix shrugged. "No, but it was worth a try." He scrutinized me. "Hmm. What should I do to make you tell?" An evil smile formed on his face. "Would torture do the trick?"

     My eyes widened. I did not want to be tortured. "No!"

     "Then tell me," Phoenix said. "Tell me your other power, and you won't get tortured."