Chapter Twelve

Twelve

Phoenix grinned, and Lilac looked horrified.

     "Callie, no!" she yelled, pulling against the ropes.

     "I like that deal," Phoenix said, "except for one thing."

     "Which is?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

     "Where I let everyone go," he replied.

     "In case you forgot, your minion is unconscious in the hallway," I pointed out.

     "That's true," Phoenix said. He turned to Lilac, fire growing in his hand, and at first I was feeling panicked. I thought he was going to burn he again, but he aimed the fire at the ropes. They fell away, and Lilac quickly stood up, rubbing her wrists.

     "There," Phoenix said, looking at Lilac. "I set her free."

     "What about the other people you're holding captive?" I demanded.

     At that moment, Ashton burst into the room, a group of people behind him. I noticed Dorian, and I looked for Angela too. I spotted a little girl who looked almost exactly like Lillie, and I assumed that was Angela.

     "I believe that's already been done for me," Phoenix, not looking concerned that Ashton had just freed all of his prisoners.

     Lilac ran over to Ashton, joining the group, and then looked at me. "Come on, Callie!"

     Phoenix looked at me, too, raising his eyebrow. "You made a deal, Callie. You don't seem like the person who breaks their deals."

     Ashton glanced at Phoenix, and then his gaze settled on me. "What's going on here?"

     "Callie decided to make a deal with Phoenix," Lilac explained, her eyes pleading with me to come with her and go back to the school.

     "What kind of deal?" Ashton asked cautiously.

     "A heroic one," Phoenix said in a fake admiring voice. "She said she'd stay here with me if I let everyone go."

     Ashton looked at me with a what-were-you-thinking look. I shrugged as if to say what-could-I-do?

     "Now, I'd suggest you leave now," Phoenix said, "before I change my mind."

     "Your deal was you'd let everyone you had here go, and she's stay with you, right?" Lilac said.

     Phoenix nodded, looking unsure. "Yes, that's what I said."

     "Well, you have to let everyone you have as a prisoner go," Lilac said, looking at me. "That means you have to let Callie go, because she's technically your prisoner."

     I smiled. I was glad that I had a smart friend. "That's right," I spoke up.

     Phoenix narrowed his eyes, and I jumped down from the stage, joining Ashton, Lilac, and the other prisoners. I was surprised Phoenix didn't do anything as we walked out of the gym and left the abandoned school.

     "That was smart thinking, Li," I said to Lilac.

     She beamed at me. "Thanks. I'm surprised you didn't think of it first."

     I stuck my tongue out at her. "I was too busy focusing on saving you guys. Sorry."

     Lilac laughed.

     "Callie?"

     I looked down to see Dorian. I smiled and knelt down, hugging him tightly.