Chapter Ten

Ten

I slowly opened my eyes, having a massive headache. I groaned and sat up, my headache getting even worse.

     "Hey, hey, hey," a voice said. "Easy there."

     I looked over to see Nash sitting on a stool by my side.

     "Lay down," he instructed, pointing to the pillow. I obliged happily, the fluffy pillow feeling better against my aching head.

     "What happened?" I asked groggily, my memory of last night a bit foggy. "Why am I in the hospital?"

     I was laying in one of those hospital beds, with a hospital gown. A thin curtain was pulled around my bed area.

     "You hit your head hard on some steps," Nash said. "You were out for two days. We were getting worried."

     Two days?! Wow, that's a long time.

     "Why'd I hit my head?"

     Nash bit his lip. "Um, Phoenix kinda-"

     At Phoenix's name, memories flooded in. "Dorian!" I screeched, interrupting Nash. I sat up, and Nash firmly pushed me down.

     "Calypso, you're supposed to lie down and rest," he ordered.

     I nodded. "Fine. Is Dorain alright, at least? Did Lilac catch him?"

     When Nash didn't answer right away, I knew she didn't.

     "I have to go and rescue him," I protested, sitting back up again. Nash pressed his palm against my chest and slowly lowered me down to the bed again.

     "You will had to eventually, yes," he agreed, "but right now, you're going to rest and wait until your head and arm heals."

     "My arm?" I looked down at it in confusion to see my upper arm all bandaged up. "What happened?"

     "Phoenix burned your arm," Nash said patiently. That's right. "I guess the hit to your head did more damage to your brain than I thought. Do you know my name?"

     "Of course I know your name," I responded. "It's-" At that moment, Ashton pulled the curtain back, so I said, "Ashton."

     Nash rolled his eyes. "No, Calypso, my name is not Ashton. It's Nash."

     I pointed, and Nash turned around. "Oh. Yes, that's Ashton."

     Ashton glared at me. "I told you not to go."

     "And I said I was going whether you liked it or not," I retorted. Wow, I've changed a lot in three weeks-ish. Before, I would've never dared talk back to anyone who was more superior than I was.

     "Yes, and look was happened." Ashton gestured to my burned arm. "Not to mention Phoenix got away with your brother, and he took Lilac too."

     My eyes widened. He took Lilac?! Oh, he was so going to get it when I was well enough to actually stand up without a lot of pain rushing to my head.

     "Yes, he took Lilac," Ashton hissed, examining my shocked expression. "And it's all your fault!"

     "Hey," Nash said, trying to break off our argument, but I interrupted him again.

     "Well, I'm sorry Mr. I'm-better-than-everyone-else, but I didn't sign up for this," I retorted.

     "Yeah?" Ashton snarled. "I didn't sign up for this either."