Chapter Twenty Two

Twenty Two

After we were finished eating supper, we watched a couple of me, and then we went to sleep. Nash slept in Dorian's empty room while I shared a room with Evie.

     "We do have a room for you," Evie explained, "it's just not furnished."

     She laid out a mattress for me, so I slept on that. In the morning, I blearily opened my eyes and glanced at the digital clock on Evie's bedside table.

     11:36.

     My eyes widened. It was almost 12, which is when Phoenix wanted to meet. If I'm late, then Dorian's dead, and I can't have that.

     I threw the covers back and scrambled off of the mattress. I got ready as fast as I could before running downstairs, where I found Nash sitting at the kitchen table, tapping his fingers against the hard surface. His face instantly brightened when he saw me.

     "Hey Calypso," he said cheerfully while I glanced at the clock on the microwave. 11:43.

     "Hi Nash," I replied. "We have to get going soon, or else we'll be late, and you know what happens if we're late."

     Nash nodded. "Alright. What are we going to tell your mom?"

     I thought for a second before yelling, "Mom! We're leaving, bye!" at the top of my lungs. I turned and smiled at Nash. "Do you think she heard me?"

     "No," Nash said sarcastically, grinning before standing up and walking with me to the front door.

     "Bye Callie!" Evie screamed from the living room.

     "Bye Evie!" I screeched. "Love you!"

     "Please no more screaming," Nash groaned, holding his hands to his ears.

     We left the house, and then Nash teleported us to the Powers' camp. As soon as our feet touched the ground, Ashton walked over.

     "Are you two ready?" he asked.

     Nash and I nodded in unison.

     "I told my mom what was going on," I explained, and Ashton nodded.

     "Excellent. Now, I have a group of people coming to the town square as well. We'll be hiding in case anything happens, which I'm hoping nothing does," he informed us.

     "Fingers crossed," I said, crossing my fingers. I really hoped everything went well.

     "Alright, you two should probably get going soon," he said, glancing at a watch strapped to his wrist. "Good luck." With that, he walked away.

     Just as Nash and I were planning to teleport away, I heard my name being called. I turned around to find Lillie running towards me, a big smile on her face.

     "Callie!" she repeated, coming to a stop in front of me. "Guess what!"

     "What?" I asked, smiling at her. She was such a nice girl. I wished I hadn't caused her so much pain.

     "I get to help today," Lillie announced, sounding excited.

     "What do you mean?"

     "Ashton asked who wanted to come and help you with Phoenix," she explained. "I volunteered, and after a lot, and I mean a lot, of begging, Ashton finally agreed to let me come."

     I froze. "What? No, Lillie, you can't come."

     Lillie frowned. "Why not?"

     "Phoenix is dangerous," I said quickly, hoping she'd listen to me and not go. "He could hurt you."