Chapter Twenty Three

Twenty Three

Evie screamed, her eyes stuck on Daniel's dead body. She backed away, glancing up at Phoenix in horror, before looking back down at Daniel.

     "You monster!" she screamed. "How could you?!"

     Phoenix didn't say anything, just dropped the gun carelessly. He started to walk away.

     At first, I just stood there, frozen. I never really liked Daniel, but that doesn't mean he can die! No, no one's supposed to die! I understand Phoenix didn't like him for trying to replace Dad, but killing him is way too extreme.

     I broke out of my trance and started to run after Phoenix. He needed to be stopped.

     Before I reached Phoenix, he stopped. Suddenly, Dorian appeared, looking scared. I started running even faster, hoping to save my little brother.

     And then, Goldbloods started appearing from everywhere. Shops, bushes, behind cars. They were all running towards me, and I realized that they were going to try and kill me, to get me out of the world so it would be easier to demolish the Powers. I couldn't let that happen.

     I summoned two knives and kept going.  Some of the Goldbloods looked surprised that I wasn't stopping, but I couldn't. The image of Phoenix with Dorian kept me going.

     "Callie!"

     I turned around to see Ashton, standing in front of the Powers. I smiled to myself, knowing that they got my back.

     "What the heck are you doing?" he yelled.

     "Fighting," I replied before continuing to run in the direction of Phoenix.

     I ran into the crowd of Goldbloods, all of them crowding around me. Soon, Powers were there, and they distracted the Goldbloods so I could find Phoenix.

     One time, two Goldbloods ganged up on me. They fought furiously, and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but then one of them screamed, making the other one distracted and allowing me to kick them in the gut, making them groan and fall to the ground in pain. I turned around and found, to my surprise, Valerie.

     "Thanks," I said breathlessly.

     Valerie glared at me before shrugging and then walking off, sticking one of her knives into the back of another Goldblood attacking another Powers member.

     I wonder why she did that. I thought she didn't like me. Hated me, in fact. Maybe she softened a bit? I don't really know, but I was thankful.

     I made my way out of the crowd of Goldbloods and prepared myself to meet Phoenix, but he wasn't there. Darn. I lost him.

     I sighed in disappointment and frustration before turning around and joining the fight, knocking out as many Goldbloods as possible. I know we're kinda in the middle of a war, but I didn't want to kill anyone, no matter who they were.

     I reached the town square again and looked back. Many Goldbloods were lying on the ground, but not as many as there were when this first started, making me assume that they ran away.

     "Good thing I had your back."

     I looked over my shoulder to find Ashton.

     I smiled at him. "Yeah. I was kind of expecting something to go wrong, but I definitely was not expecting this."

     Ashton nodded, and it was then that I noticed a blood stain on his shirt. A big one at that.

     I gasped, pointing. "Ashton, are you hurt?!"