Chapter Four

Four

Where do I go now? I wondered to myself. Phoenix and Ashton both knew where I lived, and I couldn't risk putting my family in danger. Besides, they always ended up finding me one way or another.

Maybe Aunt May's house, I suggested in my head. I thought that was a pretty good plan, so I set out for her house. It wasn't very far away, so I could walk easily.

A little voice at the back of my head was telling me not to, that I'll put her in danger.

How? I countered. Ashton doesn't know she exists. Phoenix doesn't know she exists. As long as neither of them saw me enter her house, it was fine.

What if they do see you enter? the little voice at the back of my head nagged me.

That's not going to happen, I told myself, but I wasn't so sure.

I reached her house and knocked three times before stepping back and waiting. I was pretty sure she was home; her car was in the laneway and there was a light upstairs.

The sound of shuffling feet reached my eyes. Someone fumbled with the lock, and then the door opened. Aunt May looked at me through tired eyes, and then her eyes widened when she realized who it was.

"Callie," she gasped. "Come in, come in!"

I stepped through the door, and she closed it after me. Glancing at the clock, I saw that it was 9:57 AM. No wonder Aunt May looked so tired.

"Your parents just called, asking if I knew where you were," Aunt May said, her hand nearing the phone.

"No!" I yelped. She brought her hand back, alarmed. "Sorry, it's just..." I sighed, running a hand through my straggly hair. "I'm scared that if I contact them in any way, I'll put them in danger."

Aunt May sent me a sympathetic smile. "Callie, dear. What kind of trouble do you mean?"

"You have no idea," I said honestly, and she looked confused.

"Are you having trouble at school?" she asked. "Did you have a run-in with a gang, and they threatened to hurt your family?"

"Well... It's kind of the second one, but not really."

"Callie, I can't help you if you don't let me help you."

"I'm trying," I exclaimed, frustrated, "but if I tell you the whole thing, you'll think I'm crazy!"

Aunt May's eyes widen.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell," I apologize immediately. I'm being different. I usually never lose my patience, no matter what I go through. Aunt May is probably really concerned, as are my parents.

"Does your situation...," Aunt May began. "Does it possibly have anything to do with something fictional?"

I looked at her, suddenly sure that she knew what I was talking about. "Yes, it does."

Aunt May suddenly embraced me. "Callie, I'm so sorry this had to happen to you!"

"Um, can you please explain?" I requested. Aunt May's hug was so tight that I was actually having a hard time breathing.

She let me go. "Of course!"

She started leading me towards the living room, but then my stomach growled. I looked down at it in embarrassment.

"Are you hungry?" she asked, already changing directions and heading to the kitchen.

"You don't have to give me anything," I said weakly. I knew I wouldn't convince her, and I was glad. Aunt May made the best food ever, and I was starving.