Chapter Three

Three

When I went back up to my bedroom that night, Ashton wasn't there. I wasn't expecting him to still be standing there; from what I knew about him, he didn't seem like that kind of person.

I laid down on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. I felt bad about turning Ashton down, because he genuinely seemed like a nice person. I just didn't want to have to deal with good guy/bad guy crap.

I heard a light knock on my door and lifted up my head to see Mom.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Hey." Mom walked over and sat down on the edge of my bed. "Is everything all right?"

I nodded, then bit my lip. "Yeah, I think." I couldn't tell her about Ashton, Phoenix, and the Powers. She'd think I was crazy and then place me in a mental hospital. "Mom, can you give me advice?"

"Of course, hun. I'm always available if you need to talk."

"So, this person asked me to join this group of theirs, but I turned them down because I didn't want to have to deal with drama and whatnot," I started. "Now I'm feeling guilty, even though I barely knew them, because they seemed like a nice person." I sighed. "This is why I don't like hanging out with people."

"Did you really want to join the group?" Mom asked.

I thought about it, even though I knew the answer right away. "No."

"Then you shouldn't feel guilty," Mom answered. "You chose what your heart told you to choose. The person might feel a little disappointed, but they'll get over it, don't worry." She ruffled my hair. "I went through something like this when I was younger."

"Really?" I looked up at her. "What did you do?"

"I said no," Mom said, "but then ended up changing my mind due to some event."

I nodded. "Okay. Thanks Mom."

Mom smiled. "Anytime." She got up and left.

I continued staring at the ceiling. So I was right to decline Ashton's offer. I did what I felt was the best. Things are going to be fine.

With that though bouncing around my head, I smiled, rolled over, and closed my eyes.

Sometime near midnight, though, I suddenly awoke. I wasn't sure why, but I was fully awake now. My throat was dry, so I decided to head downstairs and grab a drink.

As the water trickled down my throat, a familiar voice spoke up, one I hadn't wanted to hear.

"Hello," Phoenix said, and I spit out my water, having a violent coughing fit after.

I looked up at him, coughing once more. "How the heck did you get in here?!"

Phoenix shrugged. "I have my ways."

Another figure appeared next to Phoenix. He also had blonde hair, but with dark brown eyes.

"This is Abaddon," Phoenix explained.

Abaddon sent a cruel smile my way, and I backed up a little.

"Why are you following me?" I demanded. "Is it because I'm 'special?'"

Phoenix nodded. "Exactly that. And I can't have you saving the Powers, can I?"

Suddenly, I was pushed up against the wall by an invisible force. I struggled against it, but it was way stronger than I was.

Phoenix advance towards my powerless figure. "What is your power?" he asked.

"I don't know," I said through gritted teeth, still trying to break free of the invisible grasp. I quickly went through all of the powers I could think of concerning invisible-ness stuff.