Chapter Fourteen

Fourteen

Phoenix and Abaddon had left me alone for now. Not their smartest move, but I'm not complaining. It gave me the time I needed to get out and think of an escape plan.

     Right now, I was working on cutting away the ropes. I had thought of a knife, and once it appeared in my hand, I started hacking away at the ropes. It was difficult, but I had managed to cut the ropes from one of my wrists and I was working on the other. The knife successfully broke through the second rope, and I flexed my wrists before starting on my feet. I cut through the ropes around my ankles and stood up quickly. It was only a matter of time until Phoenix and Abaddon came back. I need to get out of here before that happened.

     I willed the knife away, located a door, and strode over to it. I tried the handle, but it was locked.

     "Of course," I grumbled.

     I pictured a key that would fit in the lock, and one appeared in my hand. I couldn't be absolutely sure it would fit, but I hoped it would. I slid the key in, and it fit perfectly. I twisted it around until I heard a click from the door. I grinned to myself, opening the door and snuck into the hallway. I made the key disappear, and a knife replaced it. Just in case I needed to defend myself.

    I advanced down the dim hallway, moving slowly and keeping my ears peeled for movement. Once, I nearly threw the knife at a mouse that happened to be living in the place. It squeaked and ran away while I took a deep breath and tried to calm my racing heart.

     Now, I heard footsteps, so I froze. These were real, and they were coming straight for me.

     I looked around desperately for somewhere, anywhere, to hide. I found a door, opened it, and slid inside while quickly shutting the door. I discovered a closet, so I hid in that. My heart was beating so loudly, I was sure whoever was outside in the hallway could hear it.

     I listened intently for any noise. I heard the door being opened, and I held my breath.

     "You see anything?" a voice I didn't recognize asked. So, Phoenix had more people, too.

     "No," a second voice said, sounding disappointed. "I was sure I heard something come in here."

     The first voice sighed. "Well, come on. We've got training classes to go to, and we don't want to be late. Last time, Vivian freaked out."

     "I know, I know," the second voice said.

      I heard their footsteps retreating, and the door closed gently. I waited until I was sure I couldn't hear footsteps or voices before stepping out of the closet, closing the door gently behind me. I exited the room and continued making my way down the hallway, being even more careful now that I knew other people were here.

     The place looked as if Phoenix had chosen another abandoned school for his hideout this time. I reached what looked like the main hall. There were doors leading outside, and an office could be seen.

     I glanced around, making sure that no one was there, before running to the doors. I pushed on them and they swung open, allowing me to breathe in the fresh air. I smiled, and started to run, before I was roughly pulled back inside the old school. I yelped.

     "Though you could get away?" Phoenix hissed in my ear as he held me in a headlock. I struggled, but to no avail. "Not gonna happen, saviour girl."

     "Let me go," I muttered, trying to pull away.

     Phoenix ignored me. "What's that in your hand?" he asked, and I remembered my knife. A little too late, though.