Chapter Twenty One

Twenty One

I took a step forward, getting closer to Phoenix. He was evil, and I don't care if he claimed to be my big brother, I hated him, and he needed to go.

     "Callie," Phoenix said as I took another step. "Maybe you'll hurt your older brother, but would you hurt your younger brother as well?"

     I froze. "What did you just say?"

     Phoenix smirked, knowing he has my attention.

     "Yes, your little brother," he said. "What's his name? Devon... Dominic...?"

     "Dorian," I whispered. "Where is he?"

     "Dorian," Phoenix repeated. "Ah, yes, he's served me well."

     "Where is Dorian?" I asked, my voice rising. "What did you do with my little brother?!"

     "Don't worry, he's fine." Phoenix tried to assure me, but it didn't work. It only fueled my fury. "After all, I wouldn't want to hurt a family member, would I?" He winked.

     "Actually, if I remember correctly, you did hurt a family member," I growled. "You shot me in the leg, and I'm sure you broke Mom's heart when you left."

     Phoenix scoffed. "I bet she was glad I left. Wasn't that why she didn't mention me at all to you?"

     "She probably didn't mention you to me because it would only make her more heart broken. Would you tell your young child that they actually had an older brother, but you didn't know where they were? No, of course not!" I took another step towards him. "Now, where's Dorian?"

     Phoenix didn't say anything, and it was then that I suspected he was bluffing. He didn't have Dorian; he only said that to stop me from attacking him. In a way, though, I was a little disappointed. If Phoenix had Dorian, then that meant I at least knew where he was. Now, I have absolutely no idea where Dorian is, or if he's even alive.

     I took yet another step, when suddenly, Dorian was right there. I blinked, surprised. Phoenix actually had him? And how did he get here so quickly? Dorian has the power of stopping time... Did he stop time and bring himself here? That seems the most likely option, but if Dorian could stop time, wouldn't he just use it to get away from Phoenix?

     I looked at Phoenix, and then back at Dorian, examining him. He didn't look hurt, which was good, but I didn't know if Phoenix had done anything to him.

     "Here he is," Phoenix said playfully.

     "Did you do anything to him?" I demanded.

     "Does he look hurt?" Phoenix raised an eyebrow.

     I stepped closer to my little brother-and apparently my older one too-when Phoenix tsked me.

     "Ah, ah, ah," he said, pulling out a knife, to my horror. He placed the piece of metal against Dorian's throat, and Dorian stiffened. He looked at me with pleading eyes, and I desperately wanted to help him, but I didn't know what to do. If I moved any closer, Phoenix could kill him in seconds.

     "Come any closer, and your poor brother is dead," Phoenix hissed.

     "What do you want?" My voice sounded hoarse. I cleared my throat nervously.

     "Well, I want you to join the Goldbloods," Phoenix began, "but that'll have to happen later. What I want right now is for you to bring my mother here."

     "But-" I started.

     "No buts," Phoenix interrupted me. "Bring Mom here tomorrow at noon. If you don't, well..." He trailed off, digging the knife into Dorian's neck, and I got the message.