Chapter Eight

Eight

I sat in Ashton's office back at the school. He wasn't there right now; he was dealing with something that some of the students had done.

     I hit the top of the desk with my two pointer fingers, rocking on the two back legs of the chair. I tended to do that when I was bored or nervous, and right now, I couldn't tell which one I was.

     The door opened and I turned my head to see that Ashton had come back.

     "Sorry to keep you waiting," he apologized, sitting behind the desk. "Some students really don't think about things before they do them."

     "Oh." I nodded, knowing what he was talking about.

     "So, your power is the ability to make anything appear at will," Ashton said. I nodded again. "You know, nobody has ever had that power before."

     "So I've heard," I said. "I wonder how or why I got it."

     "Probably because you're the saviour," Ashton said, "and you're special. Special people receive special powers. Anyway, I've called you here to try and test out your power."

     "What if it doesn't work?"

     "Most people's powers don't activate right away, so if yours doesn't work as soon as you try it out, that's perfectly normal," Ashton assured me.

     "But what if it doesn't work, ever?" I asked. "What if the block somehow disabled it, or something?"

     Ashton pursed his lips. "Let's not get that far ahead of ourselves," he said. "Right now, try and focus on calling something to you. Something small."

     "Like a pencil?" I suggested.

     Ashton nodded. "Yeah, give that a try."

     I pictured a pencil in my mind, and focused intently on bringing it to me. I wasn't sure exactly how to do this, but this was the only way I could think made sense.

     "Nothing's happening," I said.

     Ashton frowned. "Oh." He stood up. "Come on. I know someone who can help."

     Ashton left the office, and I followed him through the navy blue door. He led me down a hallway, and then stopped at another door. This one was a dark shade of brown. He knocked on it three times and then stepped through.

     Inside was a huge gym. It was bigger than the one at my old school, and I thought that gym was big. In the middle was a boy, practising on a dummy with a sword. He turned when he heard Ashton's footsteps.

     "Hey Ashton," he said, smiling and flicking his coal black bangs out of his eyes. I recognized his voice as Carter.

     "Hey Carter," Ashton answered. "I was wondering if you could help someone learn to control their power."

     "Sure thing," Carter said, leaning against the dummy with a sword protruding from its stomach. "Where are they?"

     I stepped forward. "Hi," I said shyly.

     Carter looked at me and raised an eyebrow. "You want me to teach the saviour? Shouldn't she already know how to control her power?"

     "It's a complicated story," Ashton said, waving his question away. "Now, will you help her, or not?"

     Carter sighed, flicking his bangs away from his eyes once again. "Yeah, I guess."

     "Great," Ashton said, smiling. He walked away, closing the door behind him, and leaving me alone with Carter.