Chapter 22 - Signing

I Deserve

I spend most nights staring into the dark until the blackness becomes shapes 

But then my eyes adjust and my imagination subsides 

I spend most days day dreaming 

Not only have I managed to damage my circadian rhythm, 

My actions and emotions no longer match our time zone 

My time is spent in reflection of our times together

And nights we spent tied together

Our bodies so intertwined that our hands are jealous 

Your exhale was my inhale, we breathed in unison 

And now we breathe uni 

You speak of me like you never knew me 

But I know no one that knows me better 

I still read over our messages, it takes me back to a simpler time 

When I was positively yours and you were definitely mine 

Confused isn't the word for what we are now 

I know it's my fault, I know I messed up the joint breathing 

Now my inhale is my exhale and your exhale is pushing out any breath I left in you 

By the time you're released, I would have been released from you 

And maybe that's what I deserve  

________________________________________ 

"Look at me." Cece points to her abdomen. As she inhales deeply, her stomach fills with air and then she exhales pushing out a powerfully high note and rifting it down to the lowest note in her register. We had been over this warm up dozens of times today alone. 

I followed her as she said and did as I was told. I didn't feel like I was getting any better at it because my high note was still shaky and my lower register was perfect but I always ran out of breath before I got there. 

"That was better. Again." Cece says, motioning for me to stand up straight. I guess I was never taught about posture. She had already corrected it a few times. 

There is a knock on the door and soon after Devin's face peaks in at us. I try not to look so excited to see him. 

"Good evening, Cece you have a call on line one." He speaks not even the slightest bit phased at my presents. Cece excuses herself and walks past Devin to the phone in the main office. He waits to hear Cece begin to respond to her phone call then he walks over to me, jaw clenched, eyes set on mine. 

He pulls my waist to him firm but gentle, and kisses me so slowly I feel every knot in my body loosen. I kiss back, but only get to do so briefly as he breaks our kiss and looks behind his shoulder to see if anyone is watching us. 

No one is, his body remains close to mine. 

"Mac wants to meet with you tomorrow morning to speak about signing to the label. First off, congrats you talented beast." I snicker and gaze at him, excited. "And second, read EVERYTHING before you sign. If you need time to look over it, let Mac know. If you don't understand something, call me. I'll have my phone close all day just in case." As Devin speaks to me, I can feel him taking a few steps back ending up at the door where he started.