Chapter 63 - Well

I take a moment to watch as my sparkly and pink tinted nails sign another album cover. A young girl stands in front of me, face wet with course black hair and a shiny face, one that reminds me of Trevon's sister. Like she was lathered head to toe in coconut oil. She uses the back of her hand to wipe her eyes. 

"Aw, sweetie. Don't cry." I smile up at her. 

"I love your music so much and you're so pretty." She sniffles and turns to her Mother behind her. Her Mom gives her a supporting smile and I wave to say 'Hi'. The line behind the security tape only grows as the closing of the signing approaches. 

"Well thank you. I think you're very pretty also." I respond. I get up and give her a small hug, the hug is awkward with the big table in between us, but I can tell the little girl is grateful for it. She waves goodbye and the coordinator motions for the next person in line to come to the table. There is a steady volume of loudness with the large group of people waiting for their album to be signed. This mall is so much bigger than the other one and so many more people are here. I have at least 100 or so cameras and phones taking footage of everything I do and every move I make. You think I would be used to this because it's been months and the popularity has only grown, but I still find myself getting nervous, not wanting to do something strange or act a certain way. Anyway that can be spoken about on TV. 

At all these events, my main goal is to make the fans happy but there is a second goal. Something many people don't even care to think about, something fans take for granted from upcoming celebrities. The second goal is to not look nervous, to not give them something to talk about on the morning recap. Sometimes I forget to pull in my stomach, even though it's already flat. Casey says to always give the appearance of as thin as you can be. 

That's a sad thing to hear from someone who has worked with so many stars in the past. I have it easy already being small, what about the people who have some weight on them? How do they deal with those remarks?  Show business, I guess. 

A young man, about my age walks up to the table with a calm smile on his lips. I greet him casually and shake his hand. He holds on a little longer than I expected and it causes me to look up. He lets go and I realize he has light eyes and a firm jaw. The kid is beautiful. I almost roll my eyes at the beauty. Because it seems unnecessary to be this attractive and wait on line to see me. 

"Sage." He greets. 

"Nice to meet you, Sage." I say pulling my eyes away from his and printing my autograph on the album. 

"I really liked the project, especially 'Tease me.'" His voice is as smooth as velvet. I chuckle. 

Satan get thee behind me. 

"Tease me" is the only song on the album that hints at any kind of sexuality. It's relaxing and erotic but not too insane, not too visual, just right. I avoid his eyes and hand him the signed album. 

"Nice to meet you." I can see his smile through my side eye. He hovers until I look at him. 

"We'll meet again, Chanel." He winks and leaves the line. 

Blaco sits to my right on his phone. He looks up momentarily and shakes his head. I exhale a breath as if I am about to whistle. 

"Okay?" I mumble. 

"Get used to it." He breathes already exhausted. 

"Next in line." I hear the coordinator say. 

I check my phone briefly, but while doing so, from the side of my eye I can see a person running towards me full speed. My head shoots up to see a man headed right to me with a look of disgust on his face and his hands in fists, his mouth pulled back into a snarl.