Chapter 41 - ICU

Dr. Ben leads me up to the ICU ward with Pookie close behind. The ICU ward seems dimly lit and has a more calm home atmosphere. It even seems more quiet and less active. The nurses speak quietly between each other, laughing or chatting about their personal life. The secretary of the floor stares me down as if she wants to say something. Her eyes look like they are about to bulge out of her head. I give her a half smile, not knowing what else to do and continue walking past with Dr. Ben. 

"Our secretary is a fan of yours." Dr. Ben lightly smiles as he walks as fast as the Doctors do.

That explains a lot. 

I haven't said a word to Pookie, I'm very surprised he is still around the area. Pretty brave of him to stick around like he didn't just kill somebody. A part of me truly respects him and even though I can't be as mad at him as is probably necessary, I avoid talking since I don't really know what to say either. 

Dr. Ben walks into a room larger than the others and pulls the curtain away, I can see the outline of Flex's body and when the curtains move far enough for me to see his face, I am shocked that all I want to do is wrap myself around him in one of his famous bear hugs. His eyes are closed and he looks at peace, his chest rises and falls just like Mom's. Flex's dreds lay with him on the pillow and scatter around is head, making him look like a dark skinned King of some sort. 

"He's doing very well. The antibiotics are working and the infection is almost completely cleared up. I can't make any promises but he is well on the road to recovery. 

I feel as though a ton of bricks has been lifted from my shoulder. Suddenly I am light and free, even a little light headed. I sit down and take a moment to thank God personally, not caring that Dr. Ben and Pookie are watching me. 

Dr. Ben has a wide smile on his face. 

"He will need a few weeks for recovery, but he is doing good so far." Dr. Ben assures. 

I nod.

"How long before he wakes up?" I ask almost too excited. 

"We are going to keep him asleep for a few days, give the body some time to heal and recover. The feeding tubes will deliver the food and nutrients. We also don't want the whole media thing stressing him out before his body can handle it." Dr. Ben looks to myself and Pookie as he speaks. 

I take Flex's hand in mine and press my cheek against it. 

"Thank God, you're gonna be good. I don't know what I would do without you honestly." I laugh lightly. 

Dr. Ben leaves and Pookie and I stay in the room not saying a word to each other. 

"Has Trisha asked about me?" His voice sounds odd in the quiet room and I realize that I have almost forgotten what it sounds like because he hasn't spoke in so long. 

He sounds sad. He misses her, of course. 

He knows that he fucked up. 

I tell him the truth. 

"Nah, she's really mad at you. I don't know if she's gonna bounce back that fast." 

He looks at his shoes and shrugs like a thug but Pookie is no thug and it was not convincing at all. 

"Gotta do what you gotta do, huh?" He attempts to reason with me but I don't respond. 

"Whatever." He says into the quietness.

"You didn't have to kill someone." I say sternly.

"Don't act like you not happy. I saw that momentary spark in your eyes when I told you." He objects.