Chapter 62 - Prodigy

"I need you at every important show in New York City, we're flying you out to LA for the BET experience a few weeks from now, you still got some street cred I just need to see you hustling. The single hit, I know it doesn't seem like much-" Flex continues but he's cut off by Trevon. 

"Doesn't seem like nothin man." Trev fans off. 

"I understand that but you're comparing it to people who been out here promoting and working their ass off for the past 2 years. You  just got out of jail, you released a song and it already hit 5k listens in 2 days. That's a lot for an artist starting out." Flex encourages. 

Trev clenches his jaw and sticks his hands in his pockets. 

"Yea babe, that really is a lot for two days. It takes people years to get 5k on soundcloud." I add in. 

"I know, I'm just so hungry for it now. Wasted enough time in there." He shrugs. 

"And that shows. I need you to keep that hunger and keep writing so we can release the mixtape." Flex speaks with his hands elaborating every word. 

I wrap my arms around Trev's waist and pucker my lips for a kiss. He looks down at me and kisses my forehead instead. I sigh unsatisfied. 

Flex walks to the door of the conference room and looks down the hall. 

"Where is this man? We been waiting in this conference room for 20 minutes." Flex's face looks unsettled. Mac was late for our little meeting. A meeting that I suggested. I had told Mac all about Trevon, but Flex told him even more. Flex will be the reason Trevon goes anywhere, hell- he's the reason I'm in my own position. 

Aside from the fact that Trevon's single didn't make more listens on the first 2 days, he was stressed about something else. In the past 12 hours, he hasn't been completely himself and even though a part of it may be due to music, there was another reason. Something I would have to pry out of him when we were alone. 

I release my arms from him as I hear footsteps walking to the conference room .

"You're about to meet your idol. Doesn't that make you even a little happier?" I question looking at his estranged and upset face. 

"Yea, I'm a little nervous." Trevon licks his lips and wipes his hands on his pants. 

"Don't be, he's mad cool." I smile. I smile remembering the first time I met Mac, how nervous I was, how I couldn't believe he was standing right in front of me, how he smelled alcohol on me and hated what I was wearing. It's highly unlikely that Trev could make a worse first impression than that. He had very little to worry about. 

I remember signing the record deal in this very room with Casey and Blaco and everyone sitting around me. It feels so long ago but it hasn't been much over a year and a few months. 

"There he is. Finally." Flex says looking at his wrist as if he was wearing a watch. 

Mac walks in with dark jeans and a black top, his face looks bothered and he walks like he is in a rush. I've never seen him like this, so high strung and intense. If this was the first time I was meeting him I would probably be scared shitless. 

"Good evening, everyone, it's been a long day." His voice is course and quiet. 

Wassup Mac, haven't seen you in a minute." I greet, extending my arms for a hug. He hugs back. 

"We gotta talk later, Chanel. About a lot of things." It sounds like a warning, I take it as a warning. I don't reply because my attempt to soften him up before he meets Trevon dwindles before me.