Chapter 52 - Sales

A week has passed since the release of "The Come Up" and I swear I have spent that entire week sleeping. Mom wakes me occasionally to eat, we watch movies and then I fall asleep again. As soon as I fall back asleep, I know that she spends the remaining time with Flex. He's in Albany for a few weeks but I force myself not to think about what happens when he leaves Albany because I know that he will want to take Ma with him, and I've loved having her around so much. You never know how much you love your Mom until she isn't around all the time.

 Mac tells me that the album is doing well and Trisha tells me that I've been trending on twitter for four days straight, which I guess is a good thing. It feels great to have a body of work that I love so much circulating. I finally feel like I've given my fans what they deserve. I finally feel like I'm satisfied with all the hard work I put in. The stress is off my shoulders even if it's just temporary. 

For once, I don't have a show I need to be practicing for or a time to meet Mac in the studio. I don't have interviews and rehearsal. Mac says to rest this week because next week is literally insane. I haven't asked what he meant but I try my best to prepare myself for whatever I might have to throw myself in. 

There is a knock at my front door. I look at the clock which reads 6 PM, Mom and Flex are on some kind of date and Mom already mentioned that she might not even return to me tonight. I shiver disgusted, not wanting to think about ANYTHING they could be doing. I peep through the whole in the door and see the light skin tall and chiseled bodied man. I hadn't seen Devin in at least two weeks. 

I open the door. 

"You're alive?" I joke. 

He walks in and takes his shoes off by the door then open his arms up for a hug. I hug him tightly, missing him and his warm company. 

"Hey superstar, how have you been?" He kisses my forehead lightly. 

When he lets me go, I feel chilly. I pull my sweater tighter around my body. 

"I've been good, finally getting to sleep. Where have you been?I haven't seen you for decades." I exaggerate. 

Devin chuckles. 

"I've been at school and things like that." He trails off. 

"Things like that?" I scoff. "Okay, I'm going to ignore how weird you sound."

"Congrats on Gold." Devin says with a big smile. 

I stare at him wide eyes. "What?" 

"Take my heart? That track with Mila?" He looks at me like I've grown five heads. 

"Take my love!?" I scream. "That went Gold? Remind how much Gold is please?" 

"No, you should have been listening when I taught you all the recording sales st-" 

"Devin, I will wring your throat." I say sternly. 

"Gold means that you sold 500,000 copies." He concludes with a proud smile. 

I scream at the top of my lungs. There was no way. One of my tracks just sold 500,000 copies, and that's just the single? 

"How were the sales for the first week?" I ask Devin, now fascinated by these statistics. 

"Amazing for an artist just starting out, 25,000 sold. But the number is rising rapidly. I'm very proud of you." He finishes. 

"Thank you." I say, my excitement simmering down. 

"What's wrong?" Devin asks. 

"Well, I guess I went Gold cause Mila was on it right? Her fan base is huge." I fold my arms.