Chapter 53 - 1 Million

"I just want to say how proud I am of this beautiful little money maker- ugh- I mean talented artist." Mac begins his toast and the room fills with laughter. 

"I remember the very first time I met Chanel, in her $2 plaid shirt with knotted hair and dirty converse sneakers." Mac continues. I lower my head in embarrassment. The venue is filled with large chandeliers hanging from the high ceilings. My crew and my closest friends and family sit around the large and long table, dressed to impress. 

Mac looks at me and I look up momentarily. 

"Now she's in Ralph Lauren shoes and designer dresses... being smart to me like i'm not a platinum selling producer." Mac looks at me warningly , like a Father would his child. The table chimes in on the laughter again, I join them this time. "The thing I love most about Chanel is that she has barely changed. She would still wear those busted sneakers and that crushed up plaid shirt if we let her. There's something genuine and humbling about this girl and it's what I've always loved." 

"Chanel, all jokes aside, I've watched you progress into a more confident artist, I've heard your voice grow, I've seen you go through hell, come back and go hard to work on this album that has earned you your first million dollars. I can't express how proud I am to be your mentor." For a second it looks like Mac is getting emotional, I hold back tears as I have already cried twice since the night started, just out of astonishment. It happened so quickly. 1 million dollars. It all happened so fast that I didn't understand it. I still don't.

 Mac continues. 

 "I thank Flex a lot for sending me that first couple songs you guys worked on together because I knew from then that you would be something special to Atlantic Records. I saw myself in you and I congratulate you on your success. Here is a toast to many millions in the future. I love you baby girl." Mac raises his glass and the rest of the table follows with "Awwes". 

We drink and before he takes his seat, he reaches across the table and kisses my cheek.

"I love you." I say quietly as he sits back down. 

Flex gets up without an introduction. 

"My turn." He smiles big. 

"Oh God." I sigh, ready for more embarrassment and most likely more tears. 

"Where do I start?" Flex begins his speech like he already didn't have it planned out. 

"Honestly, I loved you from the first moment I met you because you introduced yourself in the most unique way anyone has. I didn't want to show it, I couldn't show you how much you had wowed me because that's not a part of the business. But when you did that poem, out of the blue, I was thrown back but I was thrilled because I already knew what was about to happen." Flex shrugs. 

"I already knew. I said explain who you are to me. 

Chanel said 'I am a poet Mr. Flex of the Firebox Records

And my poems can flow with a beat

I am a rapper Mr. Flex of the Firebox Records, if words on a beat defines the game

I am everything but tame and the only person to blame for how I am is me." 

Flex stops and looks around the table. He has everyone's full attention now, but when has Flex never had everyone's full attention? I remember that day when I first met him. I knew how big he was but he never seemed unapproachable or too rich to speak to. I think I was drawn to him by his own humbleness and positivity. 

"I was so taken aback that I was silent. Her talents often speak for themselves. She walks like she knows what she wants and I've seen such a growth in maturity and confidence. It has been my absolute pleasure being on this album. I could careless about the money, because when we started, I was doing it for fun and for free. It never felt like work. It still doesn't feel like work. I love this kid like my own man. I know everyone here loves her, but not as much as me. Not as much as how I love her and her Mother. So Chanel, I want to say congratulations for all that you have accomplished. I thank you for restoring happiness to my life and introducing me to someone else who has given me purpose."