Chapter 13

"Well, here goes nothing," I sighed as I pulled onto road and headed towards New York, "Friday can you get Tony on the phone?"
"Yes, dialing now," Friday replied.
It rang twice before Tonys tired voice answered, "I'm assuming Nat or Bucky called you guys?"
"Nat called me, what the fuck's going on?" I snapped, watching the road in front of me.
"Okay, one, why are you mad at me? And two did you know about this?" He asked angrily, while I heard the clanking of glass. 
"I didn't know for sure, till this weekend, but don't get mad at me or Steve, and I'm not taking sides here, but even you said how surprised you were that Bruce and Nat were even still together," I snapped back, "and Steve tried telling both her and Bucky to tell Bruce, but Nat has her secrets, and apparently this goes back to Russia, and the Red Room."
"That's no excuse babe," Tony replied, exhaling into the phone.
"I'm not making it an excuse here Tony, just don't tell Bruce until we get there. If he Hulks out then we're all screwed, and if he hurts Tasha it'll only piss me off," I urged, slightly smiling at the lights of Steve's bike coming up behind me, "how did you find out anyway?"

"The day before you left, I saw them being chummy in the common kitchen, I mean they've always been rather close, but this time it kinda stuck in my head. Then I caught them cuddled up asleep in the common room later on that evening. At first I didn't really think it was possible, but yesterday, I drove into the garage and caught them on top of his bike," he almost chuckled, but the seriousness of the situation beckoned his anger, "I was shocked, which doesn't happen very often."
"Tony, I know how much Bruce means to you, but, like I said, and from what Steve told me, this goes back to Nat and Buck's history together," I yawned, "I'll be home in a few.."
"What? Wait..are you driving back, now?" He asked angrily.
"Yes. Steve wanted to get back just in case," I replied quickly, and wiped my face.
"Lovely, well I told Barnes he needed to leave, until they figure out what they're gonna do. They need to tell Banner, but since they left, I'm going to assume Natasha's going with him, and they're headed to your house?" He scoffed, and released another tired sigh.
Tony seemed just as irritated as I did, but tired, almost depressingly so, and it made me wonder what else was going on.
"Yes they both are, but Tony, this really isn't our problem. This is between the three of them, and we're not gonna choose sides over something like this. I won't watch you guys go through that again, no matter how angry you are or Banner gets. Bruce hasn't been the same since Ultron, and maybe if he paid more attention to his girlfriend, she wouldn't have needed to find solace in another man's arms," I barked, the anger in my voice was palpable, and flaring the closer we came to New York.
I didn't agree with Nat's choices, but what was happening is one of the oldest stories in the book, and from the tone in Nat's voice, she didn't expect it to get this far, but I heard the care in her voice. In all honesty, most of us were surprised when her and Bruce started dating, it was like night and day, but I guess maybe Tasha saw a kindred spirit in him, the quiet monster she believed layed in her, as well. Yet, through all that, there was never a middle ground for them. He even left her, for over a year, expecting just to walk back into her life, but she let him, until James came home. That's when things started changing, for the three of them, and while I cared for Bruce, Tasha was so happy lately, and Buck was the one to thank for that.
Oh, I was angry at all of them, but this needed to be handled discreetly and carefully. Hopefully without bloodshed, and the Hulk making an appearance.

"Oh so this is Bruce's fault?!" Tony yelled, bringing me back to the dark road ahead of me, "don't go there (y/n), don't put all of this on Banner.."

"He is responsible for some of it, and you're fucken stupid to think it isn't, so yes and no," I challenged, "you know, when Bruce came back Nat was beyond ecstatic, she thought he had come back for her. It didn't take long to see that she was wrong. I mean, she hasn't seen Bruce in over a month, but like I said, it's not my problem, nor yours, but you can't say your suprised. When Bucky came back from Wakanda he obviously gave her what she needed. This just isn't about the sex Tony, but even a woman like Red wants companionship and love, we all do," I added through clinched teeth, "I don't agree how they went about it, but even you should understand both sides of this story. You work all the time, you spend so much time in that fucking lab, at SHIELD, or at Stark Industries, hell, even when we were together I was constantly alone, having to find other people to spend my time with instead of you, because you were too busy to spend time with me, and I'm so glad Pepper seems to be able to handle that, but it's the same shit, the only difference is, I left. I think Nat was still holding out hope that Bruce would change, that's probably the only reason why she couldn't let him go," I stammered, swallowing the emotion lumped in my throat, and the memories I really didn't want to think about.
We'd been friends since I was twenty four, and I loved him, and would do anything for him, but I never focused or brought up the one year relationship we tried. It wasn't a messy break up, but there was yelling, pleading, and while we went back to the way it was a few months later, I hated that I hurt him, but he hurt me too, and right now, this shit rippled with familiarity.
It'd been a long time since I thought about our past relationship together, I mean really thought of it, and I sure as hell didn't want to bring it up or talk about it, but Natasha's problem was similar to the one I had with Tony.
I blinked away tears as some of those lonely nights crossed my mind, but that was over, and my wonderful husband was behind me, on his bike.
Yet, my mind leaped with Tony's heavy breathing. As friends Tony and I spent more time together than we did as a couple, and at first I tried to move passed it because I believed he was my happily ever after, but after a few months, the only thing we were good at was sex, and that wasn't enough for me. He supposedly tried to be there, but after a year, my shadowed heart just wasn't willing to wait anymore, and Steve came along not too long after. It struck me once again how quickly Steve and I started seeing each other, but Tony gave me his blessing, not that I needed it, and told me to be happy, which is the same thing we needed to do with Natasha and Bucky.