Chapter 16

"I'm connecting you now," FRIDAY stated.
"What do you want Tony?" I snapped, looking at the door Natasha just closed.
"Okay, look I'm sorry, but you know what, you need to calm down," Tony admitted, exasperated, as his face popped up on the screen in front of me, displaying his confusion, and sadness.
"You really want to talk about calm?" I blurted out, taking a stand in front of the small screen, "you lay something like that on me, now, tell me I should've tried harder and expect me to just be calm, on top of you, telling two of the most respected members of our team to leave, when you know just as well as I do, Bruce doesn't give a shit about Natasha," I exasperated, shaking out my long hair.
"Whoa, whoa.." he tried to insert, but I snapped.
"No now understand me Tony, I know you have this innate need to make every problem about you, but to say something like that to me.. to me Tony! After all we've been through!?" I shouted, and tried to catch my breath, "how could you.." my voice cracked and I closed my eyes, "why would you keep something like that from me, and yet have the audacity to tell my husband? I've never lied to you, not once, never, I told you, eveything, and you couldn't tell me what you're still feeling, so we could fix it! Why now!?"
"Would of it had mattered.. even if I did tell you, you started dating Steve right after, showing me exactly what we meant to each other," he interrupted, staring at me, as tears poured down my face, "I gave you the power to destroy me, and that's exactly what you did babe, just like Romanoff will do to Bruce when he finds out."
I reeled back, and gasped, "you selfish bastard," I whispered, involuntarily reaching for my chest, "this is about Nat and Bruce, not you and me. Tony... why, why, now? Why..." I paused when tears started to fall, "you have no idea...I tried Tony... I, and you kept all that from me," I gasped, while my mind reverted back to a ten year old child, scared, and alone. The corners of the large bedroom started closing in, and I grasped at the wall to stay standing.

"You didn't try hard enough, my happily ever after layed with you... and you, the strongest person I knew,  couldn't tell me to my face what she needed. Do you think I still want you here, holding onto me?! Do you think I like knowing, or hearing about you and Rogers all the goddamned time!? Knowing... you should of told me to goddamnit!" his yelling voice trailed off, and he looked away from the screen, as I flinched at his anger, "oh shit...Pep... no.."
Pepper's face showed up in the corner of the screen, with tears of sadness and revelation in her eyes. She'd been part of Stark Industries for years, since before the inception of Iron Man, and I knew of her feelings for Tony, hell they had slept together before I came along, but she backed off, once Tony and I started dating. In fact, she wouldn't of let him back in, if I hadn't encouraged her to do so.
From my point of view she was perfect for Tony; beautiful, strong, business savy, and a negotiator, which with someone like Tony, was a plus. It didn't take long to notice her smiles and her need too touch Tony, after we parted, and I urged both of them to see where their road would take them, only now, her eyes were filled with sadness, as we both watched her walk away, ignoring Tony's pleas too let him explain.
"Go after her..." I whispered, slowly bringing my hand up to the screen as the door knob to my door turned and the door opened.
"I.. don't know what the hell I'm doing....," he muttered, putting his hand over mine, on the screen.
"Tony.... I... I.. love you.., I always will, you know that, and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry but...." I sobbed, once I saw Tony's eyes close, barely noticing James creeping through the door slowly.
"Steve..." Tony sighed, "I know you know, but I told him at his goddamn bachelor party that you belonged with me..., but like everything else in my fucken life.."
My heart ached, and reached out to him, and for just a minute, I thought about what might have been, and the questions that opened up in front of me.
Would Tony and I still be a couple..?
Would he really have been my ever after, if he would have just listened and told me his reasons for his late nights away?
Sadly, it just made me feel worse, cause Steve made me feel things Tony never could... but did I give him a chance?
I did, I reiterated to myself.
I did.. a year, is more than...
The walls, I couldn't breathe..
No... because as soon as I met Steve... he's... his name was mine, his ring was on my finger, and he was The One, I knew that with every heart beat.
My stomach heaved when I thought about their Civil War, which had me choosing between a friend and my husband...
I died when I stood next to Steve that day, seeing the pain in Tony's eyes when I reached for him, begging him to choose another way, begging both of them to choose another way, and I couldn't do that again.
I slammed my fist into the small screen and burst from my room, running past Steve, and Natasha's yells and questions.