Chapter 17

"Why do I feel like I'm sitting in the principal's office waiting to get my ass chewed?" Tony asked, plopping down in one of the conference chairs, and putting his feet up.
"You're an asshole," Steve growled, pacing around the conference room. His anger boiled underneath his skin, and he was fighting the urge to beat the living shit out of Tony, and everyone else in the room, and he was losing the battle.
"What the hell's the matter with you, have you lost your goddamn mind!? Christ, you haven't changed one bit, everything is about you, you, you, You! You could of gotten one of us killed for some stupid ass notion you still have about my wife, did you see Banner toss her body through that fucken window!?" He snapped, and slammed his fist into the conference table, shattering the glass, "this situation was between Natasha and Banner, it had nothing to do with you, me, or (y/n), but in true Stark form, you dragged in my wife, your best friend, knowing exactly what it was gonna do to her!"

"You sound jealous there Cap, and she started it," Tony challenged, barely reacting before Steve jumped forward and grabbed him around the throat, and slammed him up against the wall.
"Steve!" Natasha shouted from behind him.
He felt Bucky's metal hand on his arm, trying to pull him off Tony, but he was seething with rage and fear.
"Jesus Tony, this by far is the stupidest, most selfish thing you've ever done, and that's saying alot, coming from me right now," Natasha scoffed, and put her hand on Tony's arm, "you had no right to lay this on Bruce or (y/n), I... we were planning on telling all of you once Steve and (y/n) came back from their vacation, but as usual..."
"Your only saving grace is how much  (y/n) cares about you, or I'd kill you where you stand," Steve muttered, ignoring Natasha's gasp, and deflating a little when he saw the sadness in Tony's eyes. It was a look he'd been carrying for awhile, but it was hard to catch if you weren't paying attention, "Nat, Buck, I need you step outside," he cautioned, and nodded his blonde head towards the door.

"Uh, how about no," Bucky quipped, "one because you've been cussing and using the F-word, which I've only heard you say once or twice, so I know you're beyond pissed, and second, because Stark's turning blue."

"James, why don't you go check on (y/n), and I'll check on Bruce and Cho. I need to talk to him alone anyways," Natasha demanded, pulling Buck towards the door.
"Then what Red?" Buck asked, ignoring Steve's impatience.
"Then we go home, wherever that is," she answered, enveloping his hand and walking them out the door.

Steve let the silence envelope him and Tony, as he let him down, slowly. It took a lot of strength, but he backed off, and leaned back against the metal wall.
"Whatever happens after tonight, is your fault," Steve uttered, already feeling the pull in his stomach, the constant need he had to feel his wife's skin, touch her face, and smell her familiar scent. Only now, he needed to touch her to remind him she was alive. He nearly died once he saw her body go through the glass, and for a second all he could see was her body, laying unmoving, nearly killing him where he stood, "you do realize you gave her an ultimatum, one with you on the losing side," Steve added, but softened his tone, since he petty jealousy he felt earlier was gone, replaced with simple longing, and anger.
Both of them knew which road (y/n) was going to choose, because in the end, she'd always chose him. During their war, finding Bucky, when they first started dating and she moved out of Tony's tower. Every choice she made since they started dating always led back to him, and after this weekend, he didn't doubt her love for him, nor her trust. Knowing her she was probably coming over here earlier, to beat the crap out of Tony herself.
"I've always known... ever since the day she knocked you on your ass in that goddamn ring, I've known.." Tony sighed, closing his eyes, and relaxing his shoulders, "pfff, it makes sense, my dad was infatuated with you, and now I've lost (y/n) too," he blurted out, rearing back once Steve's eyes filled with sadness.
As soon as she came home that night, after hanging out with Steve, he knew he lost her, and there was no going back, but his heart kept her there. He hoped with time his feelings would go away, instead he hung onto the time she gave him, needing it, accepting that was all she could give him.
When Pep came back into his life he was surprised when his stomach tingled with butterflies, but he had inadvertently ruined any chance earlier. She wasn't answering his calls, or texts, but now his mind was filled with the aftermath of what just happened, and seeing (y/n)'s body crash through double paned glass.
When she ran in, he recognized the rage in her eyes, and he knew she was ready for a fight, but he honestly didn't expect it to go that far. Then again, he was in a bad mood, scared, angry and selfishly he was responsible for her pain and the fight.