Chapter 27

The pain in his arms and legs registered first, but the more he fought to open his eyes, the more severe the pain was. His head and eyes throbbed with needle like force, and a harsh moan escaped his cracked lips.
Tony didn't know how much time passed, for all he knew it could of been days, weeks, or months. All he knew was that some creature, who called himself Lucifer, was slowly chipping away at the man he used to be, while taunting him with the things he planned to do with (y/n).
He didn't know if what the lunatic said was true about her heritage, and destiny being in line with the apocalypse, but Lucifer believed it, that's all that mattered. He thought he'd heard and seen it all, with all the bad guys he'd fought, and close calls, but this...
If what he said was true, about (y/n) being his vessel, the body his true form was meant to be in, in order to finally put an end to the long awaited war between heaven and hell, he didn't know if any of them would make it. She was already gone from him, but now..if Lucifer had his way she would be forever lost to all of them, and nothing would save her.
He had already accepted he would die before letting any harm to come to her, or anyone, but it wasn't that simple anymore.
Her memory, along with Pepper's were the only things that kept him sane, even if his hope was hanging by a thread, but he was dieing.
He could feel it.
It'd been awhile since he had any water, or food, and his muscles were seizing, forcing his arms and legs to cramp. His clothes were dirty, stiff with sweat, dirt and blood, and his skin was blotchy, taking on a sickly grayish color.
No one answered his yells, or his screams when the shackles cut into his skin as his arms shifted involuntarily. The only one who showed his face was the crazy blonde, covered in sores, which only seemed to get worse with time. His visits begged fear, but he was too tired, too worried about (y/n), and when Lucifer didn't get the response he wanted, he made him suffer to the point where he almost forgot his name.
He thought Afghanistan was bad, but it was nothing compared to the incessant screaming, the unseen forces that kept him from breathing and squeezed his neck shut, or held him up in the air, demanding information about his tower, and (y/n). When he refused, his insides burned as if lit on fire, and his mouth was forced shut so he couldn't even scream.
He'd almost given up hope they would find him, in fact, he hoped (y/n) wouldn't come here, knowing she would be walking into a well laid trap, but he knew she was coming, regardless how horrible their fight was, she was probably going crazy looking for him. They all were.
No, maybe this guy was right, maybe he was finally in hell, for all the bad things he'd done, this was his penance.

"Tony?" A familiar voice called out in worry, "where're my warm chocolate eyes at, it's okay, I'm right here honey, and he won't hurt you anymore. Did you miss me?"
Tony opened his eyes, and gasped when (y/n) stood in front of him. Her long dark hair fell passed her shoulders, and dark eyes assessed her surroundings. She was in her typical tank top, leather jacket, and jeans, and he could smell her shampoo and perfume.
"No..." he croaked, and struggled against the restraints, "you need to leave, please baby go before he finds you.. you.. you're not real..."
"Of course I'm real, you ass, and I'm not leaving you, not again, I love you Tony," she declared and took a step forward, "I can't live without you jerk, you know that, but we need to go, we can run from here and hide, just you and me," she continued, and kneeled down in front of him, unbothered by his smelly and disheveled clothes.
He shook his head as the tears poured over her cheeks, but this couldn't be real, even though his heart hammered in his chest with rekindled hope, but the image of Steve, and Pepper flickered across his mind.
He shook his head again, but he pushed into her soft hand when she lovingly touched his face. It felt like her, smelled like her, and her smartass mouth was legendary and on display.
"Look at me sweetheart, I'm right here, but we need to go," she murmured, and began working on his shackles.
"Where's Steve?" He asked, and tugged harder, "and you're not real... you don't need me, you said so..."
"Look at me you dumbass," she demanded fiercely, and pulled his face closer to hers, "it's me, and I was wrong about Steve, so wrong..." she whispered, and placed her soft lips against his, "we need to go, he doesn't know I'm here, no one does."
His chest exploded with a rush of warmth, the same warmth he'd always had for her, but she was married to Steve, she loved him, and he knew that, but he couldn't stop.
He didn't want too.
If he was going to die, he would pass, knowing her lips were on his, but this, this wasn't real. Oh, she tasted the same, and the heat coming off her skin gave him goosebumps. He could smell her, feel her strong body sheltering him from the pain.
"Honey, you've been there for me since the beginning, just as I was there for you when the weight of the world became to much," she whispered against his lips, and quickly released the shackles on his wrists. The pain was gone, and he grabbed her with all his strength and sank into her pliant body. She straddled his lap, and moaned into his mouth as he drank her in.
"Stay with me," she cooed and forced his eyes on her, but he gasped and tried to stumble back. Her eyes shined black, and her mouth dripped with blood, "just give him what he wants Tony, please, and you and me can watch the world burn..."
"NO!" He screamed, and threw her off of him. Her head made a loud crack when it hit the broken concrete, and she didn't move, as blood slowly leaked from the back of her head. Bile spewed from his mouth, but he reached out for her, and cried out when he realized she wasn't breathing. Blood soaked his hands, and enveloped his dirty clothes as he dragged her body over his lap. "This isn't real, this isn't real!" He yelled, "I'm sorry, this isn't happening!"